dash brake light goes on and off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dash brake light goes on and off

The light for the ebrake goes on and goes off sometimes. I don't think its engaging though.

I've driven on some harsh gravel roads and stuff, could something be loose?
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

The return spring on the pedals can go weak and not disengage the switch all the way. try pulling up on the pedal and see if that helps.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
      The return spring on the pedals can go weak and not disengage the switch all the way. try pulling up on the pedal and see if that helps.
      I'll go try it out. So if it does go away from lifting it up, is the spring a easy fix?
      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

okay so lifting the brake didnt seem to turn the light off but sometimes it will turn off after I let go of the brake quickly or something but then it turns back on.
        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

It's the contact switch on the e-brake pedal assembly, mine used to do that stuff as well, only it was so long ago that I don't remember how I fixed it... may have just pulled the wire off it.

Comment

Check your brake fluid level.

Alex.

Comment

You may also have a small fluid leak - check your wheel cylinders. My 85's light acted that way after I blew one out during a panic stop (some moron stopped dead in the road around a blind curve... for a groundhog)
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The brake fluid level looks okay but its hard to see cause its so freakin dirty. How do i open that thing up?

And I really hope its not the wheel cylinder because I put in a brand new one 6 months ago...
                88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

cap should be a 1/4 turn and pull off sort of deal if I'm not mistaken.

There isn't any brake fluid level sender on these cars though, so fluid level won't trip the light.

You have 2 wheel cylinders, one on each back wheel.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    cap should be a 1/4 turn and pull off sort of deal if I'm not mistaken.

There isn't any brake fluid level sender on these cars though, so fluid level won't trip the light.

You have 2 wheel cylinders, one on each back wheel.

The wheel cylinders are the things inside the drum brake right? I had those replaced like 6 months ago... I'll check those but first, what about the "contact switch" thing on the ebrake JDG talked about?
                    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

I thought he had an '89, which does have a sender.

Alex.

Comment

88, which I don't believe does.

yes, wheel cylinders are inside the drum. One on each side.

Could be the parking brake switch. I dont quite know how it comes out, but there is a wire that you should be able to see plugged into the switch if you look up under the dash at the e-brake pedal assembly. Unplug the wire and see if the flickering goes away. That will tell you if its the parking brake or something else.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay I'll try unhooking the wire tomorrow, hope its just that.
                          88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Working...
                          X