battery light flickering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery light flickering?

My batt light is coming on from time to time. Not for long and it is never solid, will just flicker. Doesn't happen when I am giving it gas, usually just at idle or when coasting, or when I use the brakes.

It never stays on. I haven't had any problems starting and I generally use my remote starter on account of this god forsaken winter... Don't know if that matters. I do not know how old the battery in the car is and I have been meaning to replace it anyway. Should I throw a new battery in there and see what happens?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    My batt light is coming on from time to time. Not for long and it is never solid, will just flicker. Doesn't happen when I am giving it gas, usually just at idle or when coasting, or when I use the brakes.

It never stays on. I haven't had any problems starting and I generally use my remote starter on account of this god forsaken winter... Don't know if that matters. I do not know how old the battery in the car is and I have been meaning to replace it anyway. Should I throw a new battery in there and see what happens?
    I think you should check your alternator, for proper output to the battery. Sounds like your alternator is crapping out at idle. Is the belt slipping?

Comment

Oh... I have a 3g in there. Does it sound like a dying alt to you?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Haha thanks
        sigpic

Comment

I have nowhere to bench test the alt unfortunately. It doesn't always happen either

How do I test alt output? I know how to check battery voltage.. Not the same thing, is it?
          Last edited by 1990LTD; 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

check the voltage at idle at the battery with the engine running

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Should be high 13s right?
              sigpic

Comment

high 13s to low 14s sounds right.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

steady 14.02 at idle just after startup and just now, after driving for an hour or so...the light only flickers after the car has been on for a while, not usually when cold. could it be the green wire coming off of the alternator for the warning light, or is that a different one? it is entirely within the realm of possibility that the crimp that I did was not perfect..could that cause it?
                  sigpic

Comment

the reading doesn't dip, surge, flicker, or whatever when the battery light comes on either. there's no loss of power to anything else (lights don't dim, etc). tried letting it coold off and the same deal again, doesn't happen when first started but after it's warm and has been for a few minutes, it'll start flickering. i'll test that wire tomorrow when the sun is actually out.
                    sigpic

Comment

check the connection of the green wire mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                      X