Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANOTHER thread about 3g goodness

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
    . . . For those who have not done this yet, make sure you pick up a new belt, # K060507. The old pulley WILL NOT FIT the 3g, so don't even try. . . .
    After 2 days i finished my first 3g upgrade, reason being none of the parts shops had the right size belt around here,

I brought both 2G alternators from both my gmq's and the 3G's to a local shop to swap the pulleys. how ever only one of the pulley's from the 2G's fit on the 3G's.

The main shaft thing in the middle(3G) wasn't long enough for the bolt to catch any threads, however the pulley on the other 2G seemed to be thinner in the center and there was enough of the shaft to catch the bolt. i also didn't have to use the spacer on the pulley that worked, but the pulley that didn't work needed a spacer to keep it from grinding against the housing.

What de FAck?

when i put the alt back on the car i was able to tighten the belt as far as the alternator would go

What De FACK???

so now i have to either
    A. see if parts shop has a belt that is tiny bit smaller than the orig.
    B. go to the alt shop and swap the pulley AGAIN for one that is a little bigger than the original. However, the alt is working and the belt isn't squealing.

anyway the moral of the story is here that you might want to see if you can get the right size pulley to fit on the 3g before you buy the belt, smaller pulley will mean faster speeds at lower rpm, and save money on not buying new belt.
    Last edited by ÆJackacks; 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM. Reason: "Belt" "right size"
    Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Why did you try to change the pulley in the first place?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Had to swap the pulleys on my 2g>3g swap. 5 minutes and an impact wrench.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

why?
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

couldn't find the right belt, the parts stores up here aparently have no idea what # K060507 means, so i just asked for the closest belt they had for my car but one size larger. it came out way to big. so i just swapped the pulley instead. saved money on not buuying another belt, (orig was month old) and small pulley makes it spin faster at idling rpms therfore it should produce more power when idling right?

I had already cut the 2g connector off and didnt have a choice as i needed the car mon and couldn't wait for the right size belt to come in.
          Last edited by ÆJackacks; 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            why?

3g pulley was wider (6 grooves instead of 5 maybe? I don't recall exactly) and slightly taller than the 2g, and I didn't want to buy a belt since I had just dropped my last 50 on the alt, haha. It was also like 8pm when I was doing the swap and there was no way I was putting that 2g back in there only to do the swap the next day.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I tried to swap pullies because my belt was slightly to short and wouldn't quite go but the 2g pulley hit the 3g case like it was to deep so I put the original pulley back on and grinded some matirial out of my alt bracket so I could adjust the alt farther in and then stretched the belt over and voialla perfect fit didn't even need to adjust belt tension sorry for no grammar btw I'm on the Iphone

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

yea i was thinking of grinding the housing to make more room for the 3G as my next option, original belt was short by just barely

Comment

Oh geez, here we go again - why don't ya'll folks ask advice from those who make a living doing this kind of work, instead of just taking some random dude's word for it? Some 2G pulleys require the 3G alt case to be ground on the ribs and front bearing retaining flange, and some pulleys fit right in. Usually you cannot reuse the lock-washer under the shaft nut, so you put on some thread locker of your choice. Also, there are at least 3 different diameters of 3G pulleys, and also several 2G pulleys, whether the original belt can be reused or not depends on which exact combination you got, so before you go on a shopping spree you should measure pulleys, and not rely on internet boards to confirm things for you...

Comment

Originally posted by John Deere Green View Post
                    ... and not rely on internet boards to confirm things for you...
                    So says the guy on the internet board
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      So says the guy on the internet board

But I was referring to the pulley diameters, there are quite a few combinations that can be had with those so the only way to really know if the factory belt will fit or not is by personally measuring the 2G and the 3G pulleys at hand.

Comment

Working...
                      X