best aftermarket car alram/door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best aftermarket car alram/door lock

With the updgraded stereo in (and with more expensive compnents on the way) I would feel a lot calmer (especially where I live) if I had keyless entry w/ car alarm. I would prefer a sensor that detects window breakage as well. I saw the one that viper makes, looked good (it better be for a total of 260 bucks), but I don't know if that comes with door lock actuators. If i doesnt, tack on another 150 bucks. What are the systems that you guys would recomend?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

I've had a couple alarms done and I always went with a professional install w/ a lifetime guarantee. Choose a reputable place that won't hack up the wiring like some may. Anything from Directed Electronics is fine, their components are solid and I've always had good luck with them. Directed makes brands like Viper, Clifford, Avital, Hornet, ect so just check out their website and see what brand you prefer. I always used Zippos and they deal strictly with the Viper line. A basic system should have a dual stage shock sensor and basic lock/unlock features. Other sensors, sirens, and trunk release are add-ons depending on the system. I wanted the auto up window feature but the installers said they've had nothing but headaches with them and given our cars track record with windows, it's something you can likely do without. Pretty much all of the installation takes place in the steering column near the ignition switch and it's pretty tight in there to begin with. When my install was done, the movement finished off my ignition switch which was already on its way out (separating) so you may also want to have a look at it before taking it in and possibly having a spare ready given the fire risk with an old one.
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

how muck exactly does it cost (including labor). I was hoping to have it done professionally because wiring is by far my weakest point lol
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

The most expensive one I have is in my Grand Marquis and that was near $600 all total. That's the Viper 5900ST with the two-way responder remote, remote start. A good Viper system with remote start, lock/unlock, trunk pop, ect should be in the $300-500 range. It also depends on what people are charging in the area, and if for instance, the installer will use a system you bought on your own (you may find a good deal). I'd say check a few places out and see what the prices are like. Also, ask around and see where your friends have taken their cars and what it cost them.
        sigpic
        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
          The most expensive one I have is in my Grand Marquis and that was near $600 all total.
          That, my friends is why I do things myself.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I just learned about this one on this forum the other day...use the fuel pump kill switch in the trunk in addition to whatever security you're gonna have going on.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I could just take the fuel pump relay out of the car and it's not going anywhere. The viper 5900ST system alone online goes for around $200-250 so I really can't complain especially if anything ever goes wrong, I just bring it to them no problem. Oddly I sort of prefer the 791XV to the 5900ST. They're pretty much the same system however the later uses a different frequency so the range is supposed to be better, but response is slower and it loves its alkaline batteries. I could always have them downgrade it if I want by replacing the antenna & remote. Something like the Viper 5101 would work well for you. That system has theft protection, aux channels for add ons like trunk pop, and remote start.
              sigpic

Comment

to be truth ful to the truth this was what I was planning on. what would you think

Comment

I think you need one of these:

I can sell you a kit I have made up for 10 bucks

I have one in my car and it will deter any perp.

Here is how it looks un armed, basically meaning key in the on or accessory position:

and here is how it looks on a flash:

I also have car alarms in my car
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X