Time to give up? Or something simple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to give up? Or something simple?

Ok, I've been sucessful with my CFI until this week. My car has developed an annoing quirck to it. At a constant speed the car has, started bucking as if the engine is trying to cut off. It has done this in the past, but never this bad or peristent. When I floor it, it stops and the car runs like a spotted ape. It used to do this a lower speeds but now is doing it at higher speeds. It also stalls sometimes when i come to a stop, and the idle rpm bounces in neutral almost 300 rpm. It tried to stall on me once, and i switched into neutral and revved the engine but i could fill it stubling as i tried to maintain rpms. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Most of the sensors and fuel system are original. Is it time to give up on the 25yr old cfi system?

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

I've got a Motorcraft 2150 that will work wonders for you after a quick rebuild.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

mine acted funny like that until I changed the TPS... then it only acted a little funny.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

first check vacuum readings

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Vacuum leaks, or maybe a bad pickup in the distributor. Slop in the timing chain will do this too. Have you changed the fuel filter or pulled codes? That may also tell you something useful. Check the wiring at the relays on the driver's side fender nearish the brake master cylinder as well. If the plug is falling apart, you'll lose fuel or ECM power intermittantly.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another thing to check. There is a harness running behind your distributor, I think it's the main power from the alt to the battery and one other wire, a factory wire crimp wore through the other wire and they were shorting each other out, causing the engine to buck and die randomly at stoplights. I eventually found that and fixed it. Unfortunately, I only found it after I did the 2bbl swap. I could have saved a lot of time and money if I had found that.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I will start trying to track the problem down, and get back with what I find out.

Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall

Comment

Problem solved!! Started the engine then went tracing around the wiring and harnesses inspecting wires and jiggling connections. Bad connection at TPS harness. When i jiggled the connection (lots of jiggling you'd think it was a titty bar LOL) the engine would die. I had broken the top clip of the connection of almost a year and half ago when i replaced intake manifold gaskets. The conncection would start to come apart interupting the signal, plus the connection inside was loose. This would explain why it acted up worse on rough roads. I removed both sides of the connection and replaced them with bullet connectors. Took the car around town and rough roads not even a hiccup! Next time if i break a clip i wil know to secure it by some means!

Comment

hhmmmm.... this makes me wanna take another look at the TPS connector on my new toy...
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                  X