Just a door-dinger thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a door-dinger thread....

Been meaning to post about this. After doing a search I see that door dinger malfunctions (and removals) are a bit common. Mine seemed a lil' different, so I thought I'd post it.

Went to leave one day.....started car to let warm up.....something came up.....shut car off. Everthing was normal.

Went to leave again.....car started with the usual chime for the seat belt etc.....but then continued to chime (and chime, and chime) and would not stop. Shut car off.....dinger still dinging away.....WTF. Only thing that would shut it up was pulling the key out of the ignition.

Headlights were not on. Buckling the seatbelt didn't help. Domelight off when door(s) shut.

Interestingly.....with the key in the ignition....but in the "off" position....if you pushed the door switch in manually (as far as it would go) the dinging sound got kind of "warbly" or distorted and faint.

After struggling on my back (for what seemed like far too long) I managed to get my underdash panel off (that lil' light gets quite hot BTW). Found the dinger box and proceded to ---->:stfu1:
    That plug came out really hard too....had to pry it apart from the dinger box. Surprised me as I thought after releasing the retaining clips it would pull off by hand.

Although I hate door dingers on older cars, I was going to keep this one as I like that it lets you know if you left your lights on.

Any chance I have an electrical issue?
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Sounds like the door switch is dying. Mine did the same thing in a rainstorm. The door switch on the driver's side had a lot of corrosion on it. I replaced the switch, but never plugged the dinger back in to verify it fixed the problem.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Really? I thought that since my interior lights all went off the switch was okay.
      But given the odd sounds it does make sense. I'll have to take a closer look at it. It just looks like a (white IIRC) plastic piece with a "button" in the center and a rubber gasket around the outside of it. Did not notice any corrosion......but that's probably inside right?

One thing I thought was odd was that there was an extra prong on the dinger box that didn't go into the plug for it.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

had this happen on my way back from georgia in a hurricane. i replaced the ds door switch and all is well

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Is this switch a common general application item that can be bought new?
          As in not model-specific requiring a trip to the junkyard?
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I bought a new one at the Ford dealer, was less than 20 bucks if I remember right. Probably the same switch they used in everything for 30 years.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had mine start randomly dinging in my '89 Vic once when I was driving through heavy rain. Odd part is, that car didn't even have door switches since it was a cop car and so it was designed to not have the dome light come on when you open the door. The only time that one would ding under normal conditions was 4-5 times when you started the car to remind you to put your seat belt on. Interesting to hear that others have experienced the same thing under similar (i.e., wet) conditions.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
              X