115 and 105 bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

115 and 105 bulbs?

Any danger of using a 115 bulb in place of a 105 for the map lights? Found a set laying around, the bulb itself is a little bit bigger than the 105 but they fit and work great, a bit brighter.

I think it should be fine but I don't want to light the headliner on fire by accident
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I'm not able to find a bulb size of 115. Could it be an 1156?

The 1156 and the 105 both have the same size single contact bayonet base. The 105 is rated at 12.8 Watts. The 1156 is used for the cornering and back up lights. It is rated at 26.9 Watts.

The only drawback is that the higher wattage bulb could cause overheating in the map light.

If you're having trouble finding the 105 bulbs, bulbs.com has them for 89 cents apiece.

Comment

Thanks! Actually they ARE 1156, my bad. I never use the map light for more than a few seconds at a time so I don't know if overheating would be a problem...LED 105s are going in there eventually
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I really wouldn't be putting an 1156 up there. They get stupid hot with stock bulbs, anything more is just asking for problems. I'd actually like to replace mine with LEDs, but the coloring bothers me.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I really wouldn't be putting an 1156 up there. They get stupid hot with stock bulbs, anything more is just asking for problems. I'd actually like to replace mine with LEDs, but the coloring bothers me.
          Likewise, actually. I like the incandescent light in there. Granted, everything else in the car is an LED

The 105s actually seem to get hotter quicker than these, I think I'm actually just going to buy a new set of 105s while I'm out tomorrow - It's car stereo buying day.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X