What is this part? 1986 with ATC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part? 1986 with ATC

1986 Country Squire with ATC... mystery part question.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture (close quarters and under the upper intake) but I bet somebody will be able to identify it by my description. Looks like an valve inline with one of the heater core hoses. It is a black plastic piece inline between the back of the intake and the heater core with wires going to it.

problem is i'm leaking coolant out of that part. i assume it has something to do with the climate control system. need to replace it but not sure what the heck part to look for!

Please let me know what that part is that I am looking at. Hopefully I can just purchase a new one.

Thanks,
    JD
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

blower lockout switch..
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

i must be working too hard. it's the friggen heater control valve. apologies! brain fart.
      1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

Its not a heater control valve. Its the thermal blower lockout switch. Its that thing that makes the floor position not blow air until the motor warms up (or at all, if its shot). I would just get rid of it. Connect the electrical wires together, seal off the vacuum hoses. Use a plastic connector to join the heater hoses together and call it a day. Last time I tried replacing one of these, it exploded a month later and made the car overheat after it puked out all the coolant. It also caused a major vacuum leak. I wasn't impressed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+2 get rid of it
          even the motorcraft replacements are crap....i've had one of those leak in under a month

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Sorry to whore in another guys thread, but would that thing also cause the blower to take it's time coming on when you turn on the A/C?

Like when I first turn on the A/C, I can feel cold air at the vents, but it takes3-5 full minutes for the blower to kick on.
            People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

No. That thing only has an effect in the 'floor' position. Or, I should say thats how its supposed to work. I suppose if someone has been in there butchering wiring, or the switch in the dash failed in a really bizzare way, it could cause the sensor to control things all the time. Jump it out and see if that changes anything. That will tell you.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X