Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel gauge , power windows not working intermittently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel gauge , power windows not working intermittently.

Hi My 88 CP Wagon just got back from the garage after a tune up. (TPS replaced,IAC replaced, PCV valve and breather filter replaced,minor vacuum leaks fixed,plugs and wires replaced.)

When I got back just now after a long drive and after stopping at the gas station a few miles back and filling the gas tank, my fuel gauge was suddenly showing empty, the fuel warning lamp came on, the power windows wouldnt work and the AC fan worked but the compresor wouldnt kick in.The headlights, interior lights, wipers and indicators are OK. No other warning lights came on, other than the fuel warning light. Car moves well and engine ticks over normally at idle. Cassete player is working normally.

After I waited a few minutes and restarted the car everything worked normally, and then the fuel gauge slid to empty again and the fuel warning lamp came on,. This happened a few times intermittently.
    Where do I start the trouble shooting procedure? Could this be a blown fuse or link? And why is it intermittent?

Thanks
    Gopi
    sigpic1988 Colony Park

Has the ignition switch ever been replaced? They get intermittant before failing, and it causes really strange issues sometimes.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When my wagon did that the problem was intermittent, but when it was acting up I once stuck a 30 Amp fuse in there and it blew instantly. I took it to a local shop, but they were absolutely zero help, just stuck a fresh 15 Amp in there and called it good since it didn't blow while they had it. Idiots. My best guess has always been that there was some intermittent short screwing with stuff, but I never conclusively located it. Incidentally, I had zero issues with the windows after hacking together my own dash wiring, so apparently the problem wasn't in anything I kept.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well, I've driven about 300 km since the problem occured, and it didnt happen again. Just a one-off thing, I hope.Thanks for the suggestions.
        sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

my vote is to replace the ignition switch......they were so bad, that ford had recalled them.....if i remember correctly the switches they replaced in the recall were troublesome also......get a motorcraft one if you can, they seem to be of better quality

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

OK, Will do. The one I have now is the original fitting, and there seems to be a loose contact in the ACC.position (has to be wiggled a bit before the radio lights come on).
            sigpic1988 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
            X