Removal of Automatic climate control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of Automatic climate control?

Can the sensor etc of the automatic climate control be removed from behind the dash board from the passengers side? I am asking because i ran into a snag in my police pak gauge install. The damn unit is behind where i need to cut, and ultimately where the gauges will be housed. Can the unit be permanently removed while still having the ac and heater working properly?

In all honesty i have never used it. And i really want that police pak installed.
    Al help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

I dunno about removal, but does it look like you could relocate it somewhere deeper in the dash?
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That may be a option as well that i can do, i just don't want the damn thing to rattle around. I want to know if i can rip the damn thing out and still have ac and heat. I mean a lot of you guys don't have automatic climate control , to my knowledge, so i guess i can do something to remove it??
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Im sure you could replace all related components to 'de-volve' it into regular hot-cold style, but there may be vacuum vs cable blend door actuator replacement required, which would be a pretty big task.
        Ive actually wondered about this myself, but haven't looked into it. Apparently if that air sensor goes bad, the heat doesnt work too well, so just removing it might be a problem.
        I have that issue in the 85, and I have been just pulling the vac line on the blend door for max heat. If you do this though you have to use your windows as the thermostat, lol.
        You could also install a vacuum proportioning valve and control your blend door manually with a twisty knob. (another project I have yet to chase...)
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok. So my first attempt will be to push the unit back and hope i have enough clearance, for my gauges. Then it is off to more radical ideas. I was hoping that it would bea as easy as plugging some lines and looping some wire. I will consult my EVTM book and see what headache i can get myself into.
          ~David~

Comment

If you disconnect it, you'll have all heat, all the time. That doodad is what does all of the temperature regulation. The auto position is only for the fan, the temperature control is always automatic. Also, if it doesn't sample cabin air properly, its not going to react as it should so just be prepared for hot and cold flashes. If you want it gone, the best way to do that is to remove the vacuum motor from on top of the blend door and use a cable from a manual climate control car to directly control the temperature.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok so it seems as if even though i never use the auto function, i am still dependent on that doodad because it samples the air in the car. Damn i was hoping that my ac was entirely independent from the sensor but guess not..... super sad

It seems as if i will have to try and reposition it. Anyone know how it is secured?
              ~David~

Comment

Should be a small bracket and a couple of screws. It needs to have a grille into the passenger compartment to sample air though, so if you move it, you will need to cut a new hole for it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I could just tuck it back against the firewall somewhat, and just live with hot and cold flashes, but if i am able to move it more towards the passengers side i will try that first, last resort will be the hot and cold flashes.
                  ~David~

Comment

Why don't you move the sensor to the right more, to clear your gauge pack install.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Why don't you move the sensor to the right more, to clear your gauge pack install.
                      read below
                      Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      I could just tuck it back against the firewall somewhat, and just live with hot and cold flashes, but if i am able to move it more towards the passengers side i will try that first, last resort will be the hot and cold flashes.
                      ~David~

Comment

That hose should allow you to move it to the right more. Just cut a hole and secure the sensor, and you should be good!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          You'd really be better off converting it to manual than dealing with the spasms if it can't sample interior air. It will pull air from behind the dash, but its probably not going to be as stable as it should be.

Comment

even if i have the room to move it over out of my way, and reattach i will still receive spasms?
                            ~David~

Comment

It's hard to tell actually, in theory, it should still work the same, you just moved it over, not behind anything. But it's quite possible that moving the component might just agravate the 22 year old part. Move it and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X