Ground for drivers side gheadlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground for drivers side gheadlight?

Tonight, I took the 91 out to dinner... (MY dinner, not the 91's dinner!!!) first time I have driven it after dark since getting it out of the body shop... Anyway... the drivers side headlight was so dim it looked orange... Then it would quit working, then come back on... It is probably the headlight ground for that side... since that is what it is acting like... I unplugged the headlight and plugged it back in, which caused it to go from dim to nothing, then back to dim... Which it did the same thing all the way home... So my question is...

Does anyone know where the headlight ground for the drivers side is on a box? I will be looking at it tommorow, when it is light out, and hopefully not raining like it was tonight.... Was just hoping someone on here may know where to start looking... it is probably just loose, or needs cleaned up... but I don't want to spend all day looking for it...

Worse comes to worse... I'll just splice in a new ground until I get back from Chicago... But I would rather fix it right... now...

I have too much other stuff to do!

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

This is what I found using my '88 Town Car EVTM. Yours should be similar.

If the driver's side low beam is dim because of a bad ground, then so should be all the other lights on the front of the car on that side because they all share a common ground.

It should actually be right there, right behind the driver's side low beam. It'll be a small ring connection that's bolted to the inside of the fender. Look around in that area and see what you find.

Comment

yup - its a VERY small wire bolted to the fender behind the headlight, and all the lights for that side share it. The ground wire is actually smaller than the power supply wire for a single headlight. How this works electrically I dont know, but Ive upgraded mine to nice fat wires on the 85.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok, I found the problem... the gound wire came out of the back of the plug... Damn crummy Ford plugs! Anyways... While i was pulling it loose.. Another wire fell out... And i can't remember which side it came out of... So here is a picture of the plug:

Number two is the one that is still in the plug... The wires that fell out go in number 1 and number 3.... So can someone look on their car and tell me which goes where???

The two power wires to the headlights on my car, on the drivers side, has two wires going to it... And a single wire on the ground.. So can someone look at their car and tell me which goes to what side.... And also, make a note as tho you are looking at the PLUG, not the headlight... As tho you took the plug off, and you are looking at the plug... (To make sure I get the right wire, on the right side! )

Thanks to anyone that can help!
        Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Anyone? Bueller? Ferris Bueller? Anyone?

It's getting dark outside!!!

I need TWO headlights!! LOL!!!!

Comment

tom it would be ground 3 Black wire, High beam 2 green wire and lo beam 1 red wire

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

EDIT EDIT EDIT.....

OK, I just re-read your post... I understand now... Thanks...
              I'm getting sort of "batty" working on this car all day--- 98 degrees... 100% humidity...

IN THE FREAKIN SUN!!!!!

LOL

Tom....

Comment

Originally posted by trwp72 View Post
                EDIT EDIT EDIT.....

OK, I just re-read your post... I understand now... Thanks...
                I'm getting sort of "batty" working on this car all day--- 98 degrees... 100% humidity...

IN THE FREAKIN SUN!!!!!

LOL

Tom....
                Did you get it working?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Ok...it's fixed!!! Thanks gabegt90... I now have headlights again!!!

Tom...

Comment

Working...
                  X