Crazy assed wiring....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy assed wiring....

OK, now the wiring is freaking me out, 12pm last night the passenger side, front window decided to
    work mysteriously after 3 yrs of not working......

The seatbelt light and chime also started working magically then said fuck it and stopped a day or two afterwards...

So am I lookin at a total re-wire of the electrical system or what?

Also, when I start the car at night the headlight brighten/dim with the engine.....ANY idea on that?

P.S-Battery is new, and the alternator charges so idk....

-Wes
    sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Originally posted by 351wcrayz View Post
    Also, when I start the car at night the headlight brighten/dim with the engine.....ANY idea on that?
    -Wes
    Do the lights brighten when you step on the gas? If they brighten it's fine. They all do that at idle or when at a stop, especially with the 2G alternator (don't put out good volts at idle) If those things that haven't been working are working now, I would just have to say that there are dirty connections somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by 351wcrayz View Post
      OK, now the wiring is freaking me out, 12pm last night the passenger side, front window decided to
      work mysteriously after 3 yrs of not working......

The seatbelt light and chime also started working magically then said fuck it and stopped a day or two afterwards...

So am I lookin at a total re-wire of the electrical system or what?

P.S-Battery is new, and the alternator charges so idk....

-Wes
      Track down the connections of the things that are being finicky. I bet ya find some loose wires or some frayed wires or some messed up plastic connectors.

As far as the headlights go, clean your connections at the headlights and do a 3g alt upgrade.

The wire for the seatbelt light/chime is under the driver's seat.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

well, more news on this subject.

The girlfriend randomly pulled up on the rear driver side door handle and after 2 yrs of not working it opened......Solenoid+bad connection methinks.....

And 86vickylx, the lights do like you said, they brighten real nice like when I hit the gas while its in PARK, but when its in drive they stay the same.....

Thanks mangs-

-Wes
        sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

I believe the window motors have a thermal lockout switch built in, when my old motor was weak and dying it would stop as it was struggling and then work again, maybe 15 mins or even a day later. On a side note, I thought since last August my driver power mirror had died, but when putting the new regulator in the other day I noticed the plug was undone, so when you get the chance check for a loose or undone plug.

The chimes and seatbelt light are controlled through a box somewhere behind the ashtray. The plug could be loose for that. My chime speaker is dead but I hear it faintly sometimes. Theres a wire in the seatbelt plug that completes the circuit but mine had a break in it from age & use so the light would always stay on. I fixed the break but the light still stays on and oddly sometimes goes out. I just ignore it for the time being.

For the headlights, I agree a 3g upgrade will eliminate the problem. Overall I think the wiring on these cars is pretty decent. The main issues are the 2g alt, headlight and ignition switch so keep them in mind. The only thing I haven't been able to fix yet is the seatbelt light.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

The motors do have a thermal limit, and the brushes also wear out. Sometimes a good smack fixes them for a little while. I've got a rear window motor thats gone intermittent like that. Whenever it fucks up I just slam the door and it works again for a while.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep that worked for me when the old one was dying, I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that tip from you.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Working...
              X