reverse lights not going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse lights not going

since changing the heater core (not sure if this has something to do with it or not) i've now discoverd my reverse lights are not working. the bulbs etc are fine - checked around the steering column + trans and cant see any switches etc. any ideas ?
    sigpic

Check your fuses before getting too deep into this.
    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Isn't the reverse light switch incorporated into the Neutral safety switch?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yes, its on the side of the transmission above the shift linkage. The other electrical piece is the speed sensor in the tailshaft. The connector for the reverse/neutral switch is right about the middle of the firewall behind the engine, so its possible it got disconnected or something with the heater core work. Check the fuses and the bulbs first though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
          Check your fuses before getting too deep into this.
          yes .. fuses are all fine ( should have put that in first post )
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yes, its on the side of the transmission above the shift linkage. The other electrical piece is the speed sensor in the tailshaft. The connector for the reverse/neutral switch is right about the middle of the firewall behind the engine, so its possible it got disconnected or something with the heater core work. Check the fuses and the bulbs first though.
            I thought if that connector got disconnected, the engine wouldn't start with the key... or does the Neutral safety switch work by grounding out the starting circuit rather than completing it?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

It completes the circuit, but its a multi-pin connector so its possible that it got jarred and only the reverse part is acting up. Probably not real likely, but its easy enough to see if its connected and none of the pins got yanked out.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X