Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC question

Dear Panther,
    New compressor in November. Belts okay. Finally fixed the pigtail on the back of the motor and GDMMIT!!!

As I drove from Virginia to Wisconsin, 16 hours, the air gradually failed to blow into the passenger car. On return trip ditto.

Clues: Every time I stopped for gas and restarted, the air resumed more vigorously (though not vig enough). When I downshifted from OD to D pulling a hill, a gentle cool breeze was emitted. Ideas?

Donald McCaig

Are you saying it stopped blowing cold air or the vents just stopped working altogether? I.e., are we looking at an air conditioner problem or a blower problem?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

The evaporator is freezing up. Probably the low pressure switch needs a little tweak to cut out at a higher pressure to keep that from happening. the new R134 ones are adjusted to a lower cutoff pressure, and sometimes the evaporator can freeze. If it does that again before you can get it adjusted, just shut off the AC for a few minutes and switch it back on.

The adjustment for the pressure switch is a screw head under the electrical connector. Unplug it and it should be right there in the middle. I think it turns clockwise to increase the pressure. Probably about 25 psi would be a good cutoff point.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Gadget,
        Thanks. My mechanic couldn't get the pressure below 30 but, on the hour ride home, the AC worked fine. Test will be the seven hours to Lexington Ky next week.
        Donald

Comment

A cheater way to get the pressure down is to turn the blower fan down as low as it goes. It should start to cycle the compressor if you do that.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            seven hours from Lexington. The AC worked for about two hours after we started, then windows open. Stop for gas, AC worked for thirty minutes, windows open. I can't cook four dogs when it gets really hot and having replaced the AC stuff, why isn't it working?
            Donald McCaig

Comment

the evaporator probably needs to be cleaned if it is still freezing up, either that or there is an intermittent wiring problem causing the compressor not to run......any runs up 81 anytime soon so i can have a look at it?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Mine also had freezing problems before I cleaned the evaporator. People kept telling me that dirt won't cause it to ice up, but since I cleaned it, it stopped giving me problems. I can't write that off as coincidence. makes sense too if you think about it, the dirt holds water, which will freeze if it can't drain out of the fins fast enough.

Comment

Yep. Hope to come by Skippyville late June 8th. Scott, if you're not too busy you can have it overnight.

Donald

Comment

sounds good, i just put it on the calendar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

could also be your dryer ,, have you had a leak or something replaced on the ac system ?

Comment

The entire AC system including the drier is new on the car. I think its fixed now. The low pressure switch was bad, causing extremely rapid cycling of the compressor. The connector for the LPS wasn't very good either, so that has also been replaced. We also found a jumper across the LPS, which would have prevented the system from cutting out in the event of a freeze. After a little tweaking to the switch, and a small shot of refrigerant to get the pressures where they belong, it seems to be performing better.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The entire AC system including the drier is new on the car. I think its fixed now. The low pressure switch was bad, causing extremely rapid cycling of the compressor. The connector for the LPS wasn't very good either, so that has also been replaced. We also found a jumper across the LPS, which would have prevented the system from cutting out in the event of a freeze. After a little tweaking to the switch, and a small shot of refrigerant to get the pressures where they belong, it seems to be performing better.
                          Very nice mang! Too bad it's fall now

Comment

It was rebuilt months ago, the switch and plug is the only thing changed since last time. We were driving around with it the other day and my face hurt from being cold.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              It was rebuilt months ago, the switch and plug is the only thing changed since last time. We were driving around with it the other day and my face hurt from being cold.
                              I know that, Donald was mentioning something about the AC not working properly when he stopped at Skippyville for SF.

Comment

Working...
                              X