Hooking up a tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooking up a tach

I just got a tach for my 88 vic. Where do I hook it up at?

You need three connections for it. First is a +12 VDC switched source, which you can get wherever it's convenient. Next you need a ground, again, wherever you can find it. Last thing you'll need is a tach signal, which you can get from the ignition coil. If it's the same as on my car, there will be a connector on the coil labeled "TACH TEST". That's where you want to get your tach signal. Hook up those three things and you should be in business.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I know I am going to need a possitive wire for the internal light, and a wire to the ignition switch. I think what I am going to do is just run a positive wire from the battery to a switch that way I will only have to deal with one wire.
      Then I will have one wire wich will be the ground.

The main thing that im not sure about is where to hook the tach wire too.

I am going to check the coil tomorrow to see if it has a "tach test" wire.

Comment

Or you can run the green tach wire to the -neg terminal of the coil. The white wire is for lights, you'll have to run it to the lighting fuse in the fuse panel.
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I ran mine to the negative side of the big plug by the coil. Wired the light into the fuse panel so it comes on and can be dimmed with the lights. Got the 12V source from the fuse panel as well since it's right there. Then a good ground pretty straight forward and easy. just make sure it is set to run on a 8cyl motor if it has dip switches inside. I got mine off ebay with the guy saying it read wrong, I kinda had a feeling that's what it was. the dip switches were set for a 4 cylinder and read 2000 or so RPMs higher then what the car was actually doing. Put it on 8 and it has read fine. Got a nice autometer 3.5" for $10.
          Resident diesel addict

Comment

Working...
          X