Just out of curiousity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiousity...

What could cause an alternator to spit sparks out from between its two halves? Sparks powerful enough to make the engine misfire?

poor varnish on the windings that causes a short would be the first thing that comes to mind, crap between the slip rings causing an intermittant short is another possible. Usually when alternators are rebuilt, the windings don't get re-varnished and if it got hot before, its possible the insulation broke down and is shorting out.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ugh... well, whatever the case my car is down until I can get the warranteed replacement back from California.

Comment

California? Did you order a special alternator online? This is actually exactly why I refuse to do that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, had a 150 amper built for me. I ain't complaining. We've had a beautiful string of days around here and it's a great excuse to borrow the girlfriend's convertible.

Comment

Working...
          X