Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Ok. Easy question for you electrical mangs .

On my dvd it says for the choke. That you need to use the fuse pannle for the postive side of the choke and what you do is wire it to something that is a key on accessory. However it dosent say anything past that.

So could any of you mang's tell me what i need or how i can do it Perferably both would be good though :P
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

You can run the choke off the + on the ignition coil if you want.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks mang. you talked me into it hehe.

And sorry Nate :P.

Just a bit odd when having one person say to do it one way and another person says to do it a difrent way.
      People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by darkknight View Post
        Ok. Easy question for you electrical mangs .

On my dvd it says for the choke. That you need to use the fuse pannle for the postive side of the choke and what you do is wire it to something that is a key on accessory. However it dosent say anything past that.

So could any of you mang's tell me what i need or how i can do it Perferably both would be good though :P
        They're probably referring to a fuse tap of some kind. Probably like this.

Little brass thing goes on the side of the fuse that's hot even when the fuse isn't connected (the side coming from the battery before juice goes through the fuse). This way you don't run something more through the fuse than the fuse is designed to handle. Put your test light on the fuse and cycle the key on and off to make sure it's an accessory switched fuse. Or you can do like gadget says.
        Originally posted by gadget73
        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Hm, never seen those kind of taps. I've got these other type that actually hold 2 fuses. One for the original circuit, and one for the new circuit you add. It has a short piece of wire off it that you connect your new device to. I've got 2 of them installed, but unfortunately they're too big for my fuse box cover to go back on.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those taps can be had at radio shack for about a buck for 6. We used to buy them by the pound at the place where I used to work.

I used to work for Roadmaster, the people who make the equipment for people who pull cars behind motorhomes. We used these taps for hooking up braking systems on the cars behind the motorhomes. We'd tap off a fuse, and if the car broke away from the coach, it would complete a circuit and vent an air canister that would shove a mechanical arm down on the brake pedal.

Anyway, those taps work quite well, you just have to put a fuse block or a bottle fuse inline later. Gadget, do you have a link for the type you use? I'd like to see them.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Not shure if an 85 has it but there are next to the steering columb under te dash two sets of plug ins one is hot with key off oe is hot key on. Takes a special plug in but can be pulled and cut from a bone yard usually for free. Think one bankn is green one is gray they are like a strip. This is a picture of it i think
              Attached Files
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                Those taps can be had at radio shack for about a buck for 6. We used to buy them by the pound at the place where I used to work.

I used to work for Roadmaster, the people who make the equipment for people who pull cars behind motorhomes. We used these taps for hooking up braking systems on the cars behind the motorhomes. We'd tap off a fuse, and if the car broke away from the coach, it would complete a circuit and vent an air canister that would shove a mechanical arm down on the brake pedal.

Anyway, those taps work quite well, you just have to put a fuse block or a bottle fuse inline later. Gadget, do you have a link for the type you use? I'd like to see them.

is what I used. had I known there was a far cheaper alternative, I'd have gone that route. The add a fuse ones are nice but a bit spendy. I have 2 in my car, one for the lights on the gauges, and I think the other is the power source for the gauges. I didn't want to vampire tap any of the existing wiring, so I used those instead.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HH...gy_auto_text_b

is what I used. had I known there was a far cheaper alternative, I'd have gone that route. The add a fuse ones are nice but a bit spendy. I have 2 in my car, one for the lights on the gauges, and I think the other is the power source for the gauges. I didn't want to vampire tap any of the existing wiring, so I used those instead.
                  Well now you know. AFAIK, vampire taps are good for low-current applications, such as LEDs. I put a set of amber LED marker lights on the side mirrors of my dad's caravan that blink in sync with his blinkers. I just vampire tapped the hot wire off of the front blinker bulb, and it worked great.

Comment

I know they're OK, I just hate slicing into the wiring. It makes a weak point since it usually slices some of the strands. That, and when you remove it, you've got a cut in the insulation. Its especially bad on external wiring where weather can get in. I'm more a fan of cut, solder., heat-shrink if I can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Not shure if an 85 has it but there are next to the steering columb under te dash two sets of plug ins one is hot with key off oe is hot key on. Takes a special plug in but can be pulled and cut from a bone yard usually for free. Think one bankn is green one is gray they are like a strip. This is a picture of it i think

Yup my 85 has that same panel, and thats how I wired in my 2nd power seat, plugs from the junkyard and all
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                      X