Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge - Erratic redaings

This has bugged me for a while.

'86 Town car with electronic 'bar graph' Fuel Gauge.

More often than not - the reading is wrong for the 1st few mins. Usually a LOT lower than it should be - eg showing empty when tank is full. If I drive long enough (20 mins?) - it usually climbs and settles to the correct value.

If the engine is off, and I turn the key to ON, wait for Display is finished its power on sequence, then OFF
    - gauge comes back to a different point each time.

And this is very common:
    - Car off for a length of time
    - Start and drive off. Fuel level is usually correct.
    - Stop car for 5 mins at shops
    - Restart car. Fuel Display = ZERO (!) for about 5 mins.

Diagnostics

1) This gauge is designed to flash 3 symbols if the circuit to the fuel sender is open circuit. It NEVER does that - unless I disconnect the rubber booted connector on the fuel tank.

2) Measure 12VDC on the 2 connectors inside that boot with ignition = ON. (Manual says 10V or more is fine)

3) Measure exactly the correct resistances with a multimeter connected to the two connectors on the fuel tank. eg: Empty fuel = about 10 ohms, and full tank = 190 ohms (This matches the manual values). While measuring - rock car up/down. Values stay steady (+/1 one or 2 ohms). No sudden jumps to high or low resistances (as I would expect with a worn variable resistor in the tank).

4) The way this is designed, higher resistance = More Fuel. So ... if I had a corroded (ie resistive) connector for example, I assume that the gauge would show MORE fuel than I have...but it shows less most of the time.

5) Connect a fixed resistor of about 100 ohms to the 2 connectors in the rubber boot. Ignition = ON/OFF. Fuel Gauge displays different values each time.

Conclusion:
    - I think the sender in the fuel tank is OK and not giving bad readings.
    - I think the circuitry on the instrument cluster is the problem.

If i am right - then not much I can do .... but thought I would run by you guys who seem to seen EVERYTHING!
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

Sounds like you eliminated most everything but the gauge in the dash. Only other thought that comes to mind, maybe try removing the instrument cluster and cleaning the connector plug behind it, possibly its dirty and making the gauge go funny.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X