window wiper problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window wiper problem

hey guys, i'm writing this in my car before work. got a problem here. when i did my egr removal this weekend i crossed the battery wires for a second which blew out the regulator on the alt i had in. i put my old alt back in and everything works right now except my wipers. the wipers werent on when i crossed the wires. i've checked the fuse panel next tot he column, all the fuses are fine. the connectors are solid on the wiper motor. what else can i do???

:club:

come on guys, need help here. any ideas?

Comment

#1, how'd you cross the cables?
      #2, I'm not sure if the wiper motor has fuseable links or not.
      #3, The Wiper motor is controlled by a circuit breaker, it's possible it might have gone bad.

Comment

#1 positive on neg and neg on pos
        #2 if anyone else knows lemme know
        #3 which one is the circuit breaker for the wipers

Comment

You might not like my suggestion, but it won't hurt to trace out the wires going to the wiper motor to make sure they're still in reasonable condition, connected properly, etc. I could probably trace out my wiper wiring later today or tomorrow and see if that helps (mine's rewired separately from the stock harness).
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

first thing i did was check all my fuses and make sure everything was plugged in. was gonna start following wires, but i ddint wanna tear apart the loom.....

Comment

Yeah, I hate tearing apart looms too. Something about cutting open 20-year-old wiring harnesses and poking around inside them ......

Comment

Originally posted by TheConstantEvolution View Post
                #1 positive on neg and neg on pos
                #2 if anyone else knows lemme know
                #3 which one is the circuit breaker for the wipers
                The rectangular metal thing on the left side of the fuse box. If it is not there, then it's a fuse. I'll look and see which space it is.

Comment

Space #2 or position 2 same thing

Comment

ok, pulled it and tried replacing with a fuse. didnt work. are there any fusible links to try? the switch still powers my squirters. or is it time to grab another wiper motor from the junkyard and try that?

Comment

Could just be the wiper just crapped out around the same time, it's odd but it can happen. Were they giving you any issues whatsoever beforehand like not parking properly, staying on, loss of intermittent speeds? There are fusible links running along on the fenderswell that do protect the car's electrical components so you should be alright. I would think if anything were to be damaged, it'd be the car's ECM.
                      sigpic
                      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

ok talked to my old boss (damn good ford mechanic, only iguy i trust to work on my cars when i cant) he looked up on alldata, seems there is a little brainbox next to the steering column on cars with intermittent wipers. i tried a different wiper motor and that didnt work either, so the box is the last thing to try. pickin one up in the morning

Comment

Does the motor get power at the harness? Check to see if it gets power.

Comment

thats why i'm checkin the box next. i was tlaking to him and ran through everything with him. there is power at the switch, case my squirters still work. he says that odds are the box burned out, they box is more likely to burn before the switch does. since i still have power at the switch to run the squirters, that makes the wiper ocntrol module suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConstantEvolution View Post
                              ok, pulled it and tried replacing with a fuse. didnt work. are there any fusible links to try? the switch still powers my squirters. or is it time to grab another wiper motor from the junkyard and try that?
                              Squirters squirting doesn't mean much unless the wipers still move whilst squirting; the sprayer motor is on a separate circuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X