No announcement yet.

VOLTAGE! help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh, put solar panels on the trunk and some bicycle generators on each tire....It'll be all good.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I was thinking of a gas generator in the trunk. some louver vents for cooling on the sides like the buicks use but on the quarter panels with the little exhaust pipe sticking out through the middle of the trunk lid.
      Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
      Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
      Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
      Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
      sigpic

Comment

At least those louvers would serve some purpose. I've seen so many cars with the fake buick louver vents on the fenders.

Comment

'82 uses a 1G Alternator. No connectors to go bad like on the later cars. Just like three wires going to the alternator. There is still at least one fusible link, though. You may have to replace it and/or find what caused it to burn up.

I'll have a look at my '82 EVTM when I get home tomorrow to see what else might be causing the problem.

In any case, the 1G wiring is the easiest to work on. Here's a question for ya: where are the terminals on the alternator located? If they are on the side, you have the rare 100amp. If they are on the back you have a regular 1G, about 65amps.
          1990 Country Squire - under restoration
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - daily beater

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Wierd, every ford I've had has at least one connector on the alt wiring that would always end up with issues.

Comment

Thats because Ford wiring is always terrible... Especially the connectors / plugs. They get hot, get brittle, and crumble....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

yeah, Ford's connectors suck and the wiring is always barely up to the task when new, add some age and its just not enough.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys drive near or over 20 year old Fords with V8s and warm underhood temps. You would see the same wiring issues with GM full size V8 cars too if that is what you are driving.....

Comment

I have the wires on the side. The field and the sensing. I thick + wire is in the rear of the alt.
                    sigpic

Comment

obviously you guys dont have much expericence with horrible general motors and chrysler underhood wiring.........just think we could be driving 85 new yorkers, and when the voltage regulator goes bad, it's part of the ecm that costs a couple hundered bucks (happened to my next door neighbor)
                      my sugestion is to spend some bucks and do a 3ag conversion......you'll never have this problem again!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

hey check the wiring !!!!!!!!!

also the push-on connectors can come loose... has the battery light come on in the dash? if not, its prolly the fuse link., or a bad connection on either end of the charge wire.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                          obviously you guys dont have much expericence with horrible general motors and chrysler underhood wiring.........just think we could be driving 85 new yorkers, and when the voltage regulator goes bad, it's part of the ecm that costs a couple hundered bucks (happened to my next door neighbor)
                          my sugestion is to spend some bucks and do a 3ag conversion......you'll never have this problem again!
                          ok everyone do yourselve's all favors and never work on a chrysler new yorker with the mitsubishi motor. better yet never try to work on a friends mitsubishi motor! or any mitsubishi motor ever! you've been warned twice! they suck! bad! trust me
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

82LTDQS, dumb question: have you tried replacing the external voltage regulator? At least on the 65-amp cars, it's like a $10 part and in my limited experience is an even more likely suspect than wiring when stuff isn't charging right.

ps. Attached is what should hopefully be a simplified schematic of the 1G-style charging system. I can't verify it to be accurate as I've never dissected my 1979 charging circuit like I have my '87, but it's based on schematic drawings from my Haynes manual. Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny its accuracy.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 11-18-2007, 01:46 AM.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

in his 1st post, he says he's had three new regulators on it... I had a phase like that with the 77...
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thanks guys, and thanks for the digram
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X