Soo I bought this A/C Temp sensor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soo I bought this A/C Temp sensor...

And I don't know if its the one I need. It is this big blue plastic contraption with a few vacuum line hose nipples and a 2 big holes in either end, one end has a foam o-ring. Cost $53 from Ford. I'll have a picture up soonish. Does this sound anything like the ATC sensor? If so how do I replace it? In other news I got rid of the Thermal blower lockout and my heat comes on now! yay.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

that's it.....pull the dash pad off to get to it mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Ok cool. thanks!
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

yup, the temperature sensitive calibrated vacuum leak. absolutely idiotic design, but when the sensor is good the system works pretty frickin well.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It works!!!!!!

Comment

yeah heat sometimes I wish my car had manual not the auto stuff. I never set it to auto anyway

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I need to get one o those for the 85... cant you clean them????
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

buy a new one pete
                cleaning works sometimes....get a new one before there are no more in teh panther parts bins

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

yeah actually mine was clogged up with leaves and moths when I found it, lol. But I vacuumed it all out and it still didn't work, so I replaced it.

Comment

Yea, they seem to die randomly and like Scott said, I think when they stop working you should get a new one. Just make sure you try someone like Teamford so they only run you around 30 or so. I'm tempted to buy a spare just in case. All in all, I think the ATC setup works very well. It keeps the car at just the right temp and I never have to bother with the settings.
                    sigpic
                    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                      yeah heat sometimes I wish my car had manual not the auto stuff. I never set it to auto anyway
                      The auto position is only for the fan speed. Temperature is always automatic on an ATC car. When that goofy sensor goes, you get no heat, or random shifts from hot to cold, etc.

Pete: cant really clean them. They have a rubber diaphragm under a metal plate, basically the plate warps and allows more or less vacuum across. When they fail, usually the rubber isn't pliable anymore or its ruptured or something, so it allows full vacuum across it. Thats the no heat failure.

Its sort of a mickey mouse design, but I guess it works. Later ones used an electronic temperature sensor and climate control head, and moved the blend door via an electric motor that seems to be a lot more problematic and is a hell of a lot more involved to replace than the stupid sensor in our cars. Basically to do a blend door servo in an aero model, you're doing pretty much the same work to swap a heater core.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Same problem

Im having this same problem...Where can I find this piece and how do I change the pieces.
                        sigpic
                        New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

partsguyed.com for the part
                          changing it requires you to remove the dash pad

Comment

Originally posted by DiVin3 View Post
                            Im having this same problem...Where can I find this piece and how do I change the pieces.
                            Check out how the part is installed. Just disregard all of the foolishness going around it.

It is that blue thing with the screen and the cable attached to it. I believe two 7/32 bolt hold it...though I am not positive that is the size. I know for sure though that it is an oddball size though.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Make sure you clean out the tube that comes form the fan to the blue thing. It will get full of dirt and crap. Sometimes that is the only thing wrong.
                              I got mine for Green Sales Co. The have all kinds of parts for Fords. They buy old inv. from Ford dealers. 1-800-543-4959 or greensalescompany.com.
                              89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Working...
                              X