Broken vent door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken vent door

Dad pulled the plenum out of GL, one of the vent door hinges is busted. From the way my heater has been acting, it looks like it switches the air from the defrost vents to the panel vents. Anyway, the "hinge" is plastic, and broke from years of use. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

my boss uses this plasti-weld stuff that you mix from two tubes - it seems to work pretty good.

Also, if you mix backing soda with super glue it turns it into a molten glue/plastic type stuff, but it gets hot!!!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

hm, I should investigate that area in my car as well, it doesn't switch from vent to defrost properly. Actually on most settings, probably half or more of the air comes right out of the vent. Let me know if you do find a solution to this, I'll probably have the same problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had to fix this on my car a while ago. I used 3" metal hinge as the fix. Get creative it should be REALLY easy for your Papa or yourself. I did it while it was still in the car and the dash was just pulled back enough to get my arm down there.

Comment

You could try some of that aluminum duct tape, seems like it should be able to handle the moisture, hot/cold and constant movement. Though for something like that, which is a pain to get at, you might want something even tougher like the others suggested.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
            Well, that's true too. By the way, you never answered my question in the other thread, about what was wrong with yer HVAC air doors, and how you fixed it
            Ah, sorry 'bout that.

I used some double sided sticky tape stuff, it's like a thin foam tape. I put that across the two broken halves of the hinge to give it flexibility and to hold the two pieces together. Then I put Gorilla Tape over that. If you've never used Gorilla Tape before, it's like duct tape on steroids lol. Hopefully it will last a while, not sure what heat will do to it, guess time will tell.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Ah, I see. Actually this looks like the door that switches between panel and floor, at least that's the one that's busted on my car... by the looks of it, it ain't gonna be easy to get to, especially with me having the floor shifter in that general area... I think I'm gonna say fuck it and let it be as is, now with no roof car needs more air at the panel vents anyways.

Comment

looking at the same problem right now ugha

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

hmmmmm. Wondering if that might be the reason I only get a small amount of air from the defroster? Most of it still comes out at the floor.
                  People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                  X