No announcement yet.

Toggle Switch For What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I leave it in the on position. It starts. What I did notice was that it has stickers for 'Ford New Car Protection System Inside and Out' Or whatever. I also see it has some kind of Radioshack something. That's just a sticker. I don't know it may have at one time.

Comment

Yea it was probably used for something like fog lights/spotlights.......is your car a PI??
      -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
      -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        I leave it in the on position. It starts. What I did notice was that it has stickers for 'Ford New Car Protection System Inside and Out' Or whatever. I also see it has some kind of Radioshack something. That's just a sticker. I don't know it may have at one time.
        What if you flip it to off, though? Does it still start?

You could just try every electrical feature of your car with it in one position and then try everything in another... You could also trace the wires... hmm. Do you have a multimeter/voltmeter? See if it's always hot, or if it's only hot at specific times. If so, when? Then you could narrow it down. If it's not hot when the car's off, then you know it's not connected to anything that's hot when the car is off.

Originally posted by gearhead21
        Yea it was probably used for something like fog lights/spotlights.......is your car a PI??
        It probably isn't, since it has the 302 in it.

I personally think it has something to do with an anti-theft system, but that's just me. It's somewhat common for aftermarket installers to hide a starter kill somewhere in the car for the customer.

Comment

You'll have to chase the wires out. Its not factory, it could be literally anything.

Police models (more accurately fleet models as they were called at the time) also were available with a 302, but generally they were not LX models, and they have other telltales like the police suspension and whatnot. The "police model" was actually just a fleet model P72 with the police package added to it. You could get a P72 that didn't have the police stuff.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it's prob the flux capacitor switch

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
              -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

damn....i was gonna say that Scott....just keep the car under 88mph....you might disappear on us and disturb the space time continueum...unless it was the toggle switch setup instead of the lil red button from Men in Black
                Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  You'll have to chase the wires out. Its not factory, it could be literally anything.

Police models (more accurately fleet models as they were called at the time) also were available with a 302, but generally they were not LX models, and they have other telltales like the police suspension and whatnot. The "police model" was actually just a fleet model P72 with the police package added to it. You could get a P72 that didn't have the police stuff.
                  I know they were available, but it's not very common to see a police model with a 302. That's why I said it probably wasn't.

Comment

My brother's 88 CVPI has a switch like this, and it is factory, in his case. I also believe it is from the factory in your case as well. If you all look close in the picture (which isn't very good), you will see that the the switch has a plastic bezel around it, molded onto the actual dash panel. That is definitely factory my friends.

Now, in my brother's car, the switch is a toggle, mounted in that same opening, and I know what that controls. This is because my 90 has the same switch, but in a diff. location. On a cop car, that switch was originally for the wig wag lights.

However, both of our cars (our = me and my bros) did not have operational wig wags when we obtained them. When you turn your headlights on and put on the high beams, all four lights should light up. On our cars when the switch is on, a little yellow LED is on, and only the outside lights are on (with the high beams on). In other words, if you leave the high beams on, and then toggle the switch it flips between the outside lights only, and all four lights as high beams. I'll try to post some pics.

I don't know what this switch is for in your car, but my 88 parts car has the same thing too. Try the high beam deal and see what happens.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Okay, so I took some pics. You can see that the dash was molded that way from the factory. This switch is the toggle (police factory). But my 88 parts car (not home) has the square switch like the one in question.

You can see the little LED (below the switch in my bro:banana: s. car)

Theres also a pic of the same switch in my 90.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by P72Ford; 03-28-2008, 07:36 PM.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                        It's a vic, not a Delorean, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
                          unless it was the toggle switch setup instead of the lil red button from Men in Black
                          I was gonna say that. I wish it were possible.

Comment

I believe it is a single wire feed coming out the back of the switch. So.....

Comment

does it move just up and down or does it move around? looks like a pass mirror adjuster to me...someone coulda converted it.
                              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                                Okay, so I took some pics. You can see that the dash was molded that way from the factory. This switch is the toggle (police factory). But my 88 parts car (not home) has the square switch like the one in question.

You can see the little LED (below the switch in my bro:banana: s. car)

Theres also a pic of the same switch in my 90.

Hope this helps.
                                Fuck, I miss my old Crown Vic.

Comment

Working...
                                X