Compressor seized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compressor seized?

A couple weeks ago i was driving my '84 (the a/c was off) and i heard a flapping noise under the hood. Popped the hood and found that the a/c belt had jumped over a rib on the pulley and a little bit of the belt shredded off and was hitting the hood as it turned. Decided to deal with it later since it was late at night and started driving again, then the car died, and wouldn't start back up. Had power, would crank, just not start. Pop the hood again and find that the small wire off of the negative battery cable somehow got caught in the a/c compressor pulley and tore out. Hooked that wire back up as well as i could, cut the a/c belt off and drove home. Went to hook the belt back up today and found pieces of the wire stuck in the front of the pulley and pulled those out. I've removed all the pieces i can see but i can barely move the compressor pulley, the little plate on the front moves but not the pulley itself. Is my compressor seized or is there still something stuck in it? Just wasn't sure if that plate on the front would still move or not. I'm wondering if the wire getting caught was a coincidence, or the problem.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

The pulley should spin free of the little plate on the front. When the plate spins it is turning the compressor. It may be that the ac clutch has locked up and is spinning the compressor all the time now. Otherwise there might still be bits of that wire, and or the flappy part of the belt stuck in it.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Comment

Sounds like a problem with the clutch to me as well.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well the plate on the front would spin, but it was the pulley that was sticking making me assume there was something stuck in it still. THe pulley should always spin freely shouldn't it? Even if the compressor is seized but you take that front plate off? Well just put the belt back on hoping that if there was something stuck it would work itself out or something, hardly use a/c so i wasn't going to spend much time screwing with it. Started the car and it made some funny noises at first and acted like it didn't want to turn well but after a minute it worked fine and the a/c is as cold as ever. The clutch is engaging/disengaging properly. I'm sort of curious if the pulley is still having a hard time moving though, hope i'm not just overworking it now.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
        1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
        X