Transmission failure causes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission failure causes

What components are common to need replaced in the AOD transmissions? I’m looking into a rebuild kit and was curious because my trans had been slipping between 1st and 2nd and eventually on my way home from work one day I lost overdrive and it smelled like burnt clutch all the way home. Then the next day I was pulling into work and I completely lost my forward gears. The car still had reverse but no forward whether I put it in low gear or OD so I’m wondering if there’s any common failure points to the transmission or if it’s a matter of clutch’s could fix with an overhaul kit. Thanks

Additional info: I checked the transmission fluid which was within normal level and added some transmission Lucas whenever the initial slippage was occurring so I don’t imagine it was a low fluid issue

Comment

In my experience, for sure a complete overhaul kit, beyond that, really have to open it up and look. I don't know of any specific hard parts that are prone to failure.
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - 393 Dart block LS 91mm turbo with 4L80E and 9" 6.24@115 in the 1/8 mile (9's in the 1/4), 4650lbs w driver, AC, Drag n Drive rig 1300hp

1988 Lincoln Town Car - stock for now

Comment

the TV bushing causing low pressure is probably the biggest common failure. Valve body problems can cause all sorts of goofy stuff but one specific one I ran into was the large 5/16 ball getting wedged in the separator plate. That causes slow disengage of the forward clutch. The AOD is an oddball in that it drops the forward clutch when it engages overdrive. If that ball is jammed in the plate you get a lot of 3-4 overlap which abuses both the forward clutch and the OD band.

direct clutch failure also happens, usually that you get 1-2 and nothing else.

OD band failure will give you 1-2-3-neutral

clutches and seals are a lot of it but you may find its got damaged drums. Going to depend on the specific failure. Hard to say until you get it apart.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Valve body problems can cause all sorts of goofy stuff but one specific one I ran into was the large 5/16 ball getting wedged in the separator plate. That causes slow disengage of the forward clutch. The AOD is an oddball in that it drops the forward clutch when it engages overdrive. If that ball is jammed in the plate you get a lot of 3-4 overlap which abuses both the forward clutch and the OD band.
          On a car suffering this problem, would the 3-4 shift feel particularly sluggish/prolonged? Not slippy, but as if the shift takes too long from start to finish?

Current driver: 91
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

yes. the other clue on mine at least was that I put it in neutral and it still wanted to go forward for a second or so.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does anybody have suggestions/links for a good overhaul kit that’s affordable?

Comment

Working...
              X