Front PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front PI

Finally getting to install a front PI bar purchased from Bowman a while ago. Cutting off the old link bits using a dremel is tough. Some day I will get a air cutoff.

Used a fishing knife to cut off the chassis bushing. The factory ones had fabric tape on the inner surface.

Cleaned them up and letting sit overnight with Ospho.

Looks like the bushing mounts are beefier too.

Here's a comparison between the factory and Moog replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Just wondering, where can I get additional sway bar bolts? I have the shop manual but am unable to locate that number online.

Nothing broken.

sigpic
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")

Comment

So on to the project this afternoon and discovered the mechanic that dod my inspection used a single 20mm nut on my left wheel.
      Nice job.

This is the second bad thing the mechanic did, wondering if he hated having to inspect an old car.

(The first one was "fixing" the Map vacuum hose and breaking the coffee can line)

Argh

sigpic

Comment

I started working on cars because a mechanic made a catastrophic error on my then single channel brakes.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Pull the bolts out and match them at the hardware store. Its just a flange head bolt in some thread size, probably metric, 10mm coarse if I had to take a flying stab at it. If you can't get a flange head bolt, a hex head and a flat washer will get it done too.

single 20mm nut? Like he put on only one lug nut, or used one metric lug nut in place of the proper 1/2-20 nut? If he gunned on a metric nut, you'll probably need to replace the stud.

I started working on cars because I had an old car nobody I could afford knew anything about. Since then I've found that at least knowing enough to have a solid bullshit detector is invaluable.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 20mm lug came right off with the one picked up from Napa today. The screw pattern was same as the regular lug, so no damage to stud.

As for the sway bar, the original one is off and the new one on. Took a long time as I learned some things along the way. Namely using wood pieces as a helper, and help from Scott on the sway bar body bushing bolts info.

Original one had an infused fabric tape on the rubber. The new ones are bare.

The old ones removed. The left one driver side bushings lower arm are ripping apart. These don't appear to be galvanized like the Moog ones.

Little rust under body mounts

Sway bar link, driver side in progress

Installed. Man is this one heavy.

sigpic

Comment

So what was 20mm, the head? If it was a 1/2-20 thread, the common hex size for that is 3/4", or 0.75". 20mm is 0.79". Ford used a 13/16" which makes it a pain in the ass to replace if you want to keep the stock lug wrench.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                So what was 20mm, the head? If it was a 1/2-20 thread, the common hex size for that is 3/4", or 0.75". 20mm is 0.79". Ford used a 13/16" which makes it a pain in the ass to replace if you want to keep the stock lug wrench.
                It was a single lug nut torqued at 70+# put in there by the mechanic for some odd reason. I had no other socket to fit it.

sigpic

Comment

Test drive today, and the steering is so responsive. Could be the combination of new heavy duty end links/bushings.

Not so great, the front passenger side hub cap flew off someplace within 1/2 mile and I cannot find it. Was going maybe 20mph. One of those stainless 15-inch racing discs. Never lost one in 6 years. Asked a bunch of people too.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X