This time it's the rear LOWER bushings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This time it's the rear LOWER bushings.

I was FINALLY able to get my hands on an Addco rear sway bar, and while I was at it I also found some police rear lower control arms. I figure since installing the Addco requires drilling holes, the thicker control arms would be a good idea.

The problem is the bushings for them do not exist.

Every rear lower control arm bushing I can find says "Except police" except the Energy Suspension set. Even Ford part number databases do not have the bushings for the police lower arms listed. I do not understand.

These specific ones are from a 96. And if the Internet is anything to go by, the holes in the ends of these control arms are filled with space magic and raritanium.

This couldn't possibly be THAT hard, right? I've got to be missing something.
    Last edited by ootdega; 12-03-2016, 08:17 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Measure the bushings to see if they are actually differently sized from the standard ones. If you don't have fancy measuring tools, an adjustable wrench set to compare the outside shell diameter of the two will do well enough. Tape measure should be adequate for overall length.

I've honestly not heard of them being different other than the metal thickness, but it hasn't exactly been something I looked up either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Measure the bushings to see if they are actually differently sized from the standard ones. If you don't have fancy measuring tools, an adjustable wrench set to compare the outside shell diameter of the two will do well enough. Tape measure should be adequate for overall length.

I've honestly not heard of them being different other than the metal thickness, but it hasn't exactly been something I looked up either.
      That's a good idea. I'll have to get some bushings to do it, but I can always return them. The lower ones aren't very expensive, anyway.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

The fronts have different sizes, not the rear. The Addco rear bar bolts on around the control arm, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
          The fronts have different sizes, not the rear. The Addco rear bar bolts on around the control arm, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I hope you're right.

It attaches to a hardened and tempered steel plate with one normal bolt and a U-bolt, and the other two holes on that plate are used to bolt it to the bottom of the control arm by drilling holes in the top of it. It's weird.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
          X