Ok, so axle lengths, wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so axle lengths, wtf?

Alright so in reading around until I started going crosseyed, just about every ford vehicle with the 8.8 rear used different friggin' length axles. What I'm concerned with, is whether there exists a factory or aftermarket 31-spline axle that will fit my '90 lx. In looking up replacement parts there are listed 3 different lengths. One says ABS, which my car doesn't have, but I just want to put 31-spline axles in when I do a better diff and gear swap. Is there any hope?

Worst case there is a custom axle shop near my work that could probably shorten and broach a longer set of axles, perhaps off a later car. What say the panther gods?

Limo axles?
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Limo axles I've seen are about $300 each. Moser can make them for about half that but why 31 spline?
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Well I know it's probably a non-issue, at least for now, I'd rather the 31-splines for strength. These are heavy cars and sooner or later I plan to be putting down some power. Also, the availability and price of differentials is much better for 31 than 28 for some odd reason. I should just throw a rebuilt trac-loc and some 3.55's in this thing and call it good, but I just like to be in a position to easily upgrade if necessary. I dunno...

Comment

Aftermarket carriers are expensive but pretty much equal whether 28 or 31 I think. A used 28 spline carrier is fairly easy to find and will last, mine works just fine at 27 years old but I'm not sure of its full history(rebuild, axles). I am upgrading now for my final product so I don't have to do it twice, I have a '97 rear with 31 spline internals and should be around 500 rwhp.
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I did the same thing. Hours upon hours of research.

The rear right axle from a 94 F150 would be almost exactly the right length, but that would change your bolt pattern. The rear right (I think) from a 2014 (I think) GT500 would probably work, too, but they were really expensive.

This was done on guesswork based on RockAuto's axle listings, and I didn't go back to check once I knew for sure, so I could be wrong on those.

I finally ended up buying a pair of 2010 police axles and I'm going to have them shortened. 31 spline, $105 each, about 4 inches too long which gives plenty of room for a proper re-spline, and they're from a freakin police car. Dutchman will shorten a pair of axles for $90. They make professional racing axles. They're about an hour and a half from me, but they usually do mail-in things.

Their site is where I got the chart that helped me decide what to do. I didn't realize it was the same site till later.

Dutchman Motorsports designs and manufactures custom rear ends, alloy axle shafts, and related driveline components available on a global basis. Dutchman is a family owned and operated business since the early 70’s, and for over 40 years, the Dutchman has focused on building strong customer relationships by offering quality products at a fair price, timely delivery, and exceptional friendly customer service. Best known for their high performance street and racing automotive products, Dutchman Motorsports also manufactures axles and rear ends for industrial and original equipment manufacturers including, specialty vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, agricultural vehicles and heavy equipment. They have a large selection of off the shelf components including ring & pinion gears, limited slip posi-traction carriers and differentials, full spools, billet housing ends, wheel studs and bearings, bearing retainer plates, 3rd member cases and pinion supports, and complete assembled Ford 9” 3rd members. Dutchman Motorsports manufactures and ships your order from their Meridian Idaho warehouse and office facility. Dutchman Motorsports is able to provide customers a wide selection of stock replacement & Hi Performance custom alloy axle shafts, as well as specialty rear end assemblies & components including brake kits and differential components from well-known national brands such as Wilwood, Right Stuff, Eaton, Wavetrac, US gear, Motive gear, RCV, and Strange Engineering. For more information on Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Mopar, Chrysler, and Dana stock replacement, aftermarket, racing, and off road rear ends and high strength alloy axle shafts, or for specialty OEM parts manufacturing, please visit their other web pages at www.dutchmanaxles.com or call (503) 257-6604
            Last edited by ootdega; 04-26-2016, 04:27 AM.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

How did you get a 31 spline axle into a 28 spline housing? They're fatter, and will not fit through the bearing. Thats the reason for the limo axle swap, its not because of the shafts per se, its to get the housing that the fatter shafts fit into.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just about every ford vehicle with the 8.8 rear used different friggin' length axles.
                That is why you need to pull your own axle and measure what you have. Thats pretty much the case with any brand. My '83 Chevy pickemup has at least three different lengths of axles available, measure first, order last.

Comment

The axel bearing surface is the same diameter. The stock 28 gets smaller as you approach the spline area. The 28 spline axels have a shaft of 1.24" the 31s 1.32". The 28s taper down to 1.16" when the 31s maintain their 1.32" thickness to the splines.

Moser does these for about $295 a pair. Not bad to have it all done in one shot. I have the length somewhere.
                  Last edited by lincolnlarry; 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM.
                  sigpic
                  89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                  13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                  "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

There it is! 30 7/8"
                    sigpic
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

hm, ok. The bearing info for the limo vs non-limo doesn't jive with that. Looking at the Rockauto parts listings, the ID of the non-limo outer bearing is 1.402" and the limo bearing is 1.622". Rear seal info seems to jive with that bearing , Motorshaft outer seal has an ID of 1.618" for limo, the Timken non-limo lists an ID of 1.574" Curiously this is true through the 2011 listings, and as far as I can determine even a non-limo model in 2011 should have been 31 spline. WTF are the limo axles then?
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did the limo have some oddball rear? That could explain $300 per axel.
                        sigpic
                        13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l

Comment

I thought the limo rear was basically a truck axle with panther perches and truck axle shafts with panther lug plates.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Haha this seems to be getting more confusing as it goes on. Maybe when the time comes I'll just take it over to the axle shop and tell them to make it happen. I don't really want to tear this thing apart, measure the axle, then put it back together. While this isn't a terribly difficult thing to do, I rarely have time or a place to do it, which is why I'm paying to have a lot of the work done to my car. It sucks, and costs more in the long run, but it gets done a hell of a lot quicker without my having to worry if i'll get it done. If I get a chance i'll pop in and talk to the guy at this shop.

Also, what's with all the abs/non abs shit? Was that even available in 1990? My car sure to hell doesn't have it. It'll lock all four of these fatass tires in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Yes. 90 Towncar had ABS optional. It really doesn't matter any as long as the length is correct. If it has the tone ring, you just have an extra thing in there that doesn't get used or you can spend about 90 seconds and knock it out of there if its in the way. The drum brake rears actually had a "hat" that sat between the axle flange and the drum. Basically imagine a sheet metal bowl with a bunch of holes in the sides, and thats about what it looked like.

I'm reasonably sure the limo rear is an 8.8. It is supposed to be a modified truck rear though. Are there two different diameter 8.8 axles then, with extra fat ones for trucks?

Comment

Working...
                              X