New front suspension....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New front suspension....

Monday the front suspension on my car will be rebuilt. Bought the two upper a-frames yesterday from a local junk yard... Got both sides, they pulled them for me, for $120.00. They went out with a fork tractor to get the car, and he had to move about 6 cars to get to the car I wanted to harvest the "A" frames from. So here is a list of what I am having done to the car...

Two new upper A frames. (Civilian) He is sandblasting them, then we are painting them with the bed liner paint.
    Upper and lower ball joints
    Two new police shocks
    Two new P-72 springs---
    Bushings on the lower A frames (Since he will have it all apart anyway)

He is only charging me to do the "A" frame replacement, bushing replacements, and Ball joint replacements. Since he will have the entire thing apart to replace those. So the shocks and springs will be replaced for free. Also, all four of the ball joints are under warranty, from 2006 when I rebuilt the front end before....And the bushings... (I buy everything with lifetime warranty, just for this reason!) Only parts I will have to pay for are the upper bushings, the shocks, and the springs... Also he got a huge discount from his supplier, which he is passing on to me! (He got the springs for about $60,00, the shocks for under $40.00, and all the bushings for about $25.00....) The springs and bushings are all "Moog" parts, and Monroe Shocks....

I wanted to replace the front springs last time, just didn't have the money... I figure it was past due for them, since it now has 300,000 miles plus on the car.... Can't believe I have had this car long enough to be rebuilding the front suspension AGAIN!!! Pictures after we do the overhaul, on Monday....
    Last edited by trwp72; 02-12-2016, 10:54 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome . keep it up and then alive

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
      87 mercury grand marquis
      88 crown vic lx
      89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
      89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
      00 ford crown vic lx hpp
      03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

New Suspension!!

Suspension rebuilt Thursday, had to work all first of the week... Here are the pictures...

Tearing the front end down....

Loved the spring spacers.... first clue that it needed springs... they have been in there since I bought the car.. The front end guy said that sometimes the front springs are shipped with miss matched springs (one is a little taller than the other), so the dealer installs these, to keep from having to change the springs.. he has seen a few done this way... They try to put them as close to the top as possible, so the customer usually doesn't see them...

New upper "A" frames, before coating them with bed liner paint....

Putting in the new springs

good use of a transmission jack, to compress the new springs...

New Shocks in.... also the new lower ball joints Upper "A" frames next...

About to re-install the upper "A" frame....

All put back together installing the brakes back into the car next...

The alignment was off a little when he was done, the alignment guy was impressed as to how close it was.... The car is good to go for another few hundred thousand miles! It rides GREAT!

Next progect is to steam clean the entire underside, and re-undercoat it....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Looking good. Never seen spring spacers like that.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
          X