Parking Brake Pedal Not Staying Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parking Brake Pedal Not Staying Down

The '90 has this new fangled push on/push off parking brake. The "peg" part that locks the pedal down is not engaging. I can manually use my finger to push the peg down while holding the pedal down, and it will hold. It releases as it should after this. But it is not engaging itself when trying to apply the parking brake. Fwiw the parking brake is good when you use the pedal - it just doesn't lock down.

And how does all that vacuum crap work on the thing? It's got two vacuum actuators doing something. I don't like new fangled.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

There's probably a spring behind the peg that's gone... I'll try to remember to give mine a look Maybe soak it in WDetc. in case it's just full of dirt.
    I love the auto release, I even fixed it in the p72 when I had it... The half moon piece attached to the steering column is the vacuum selector switch, they usually are leaking. The other is the actual pulloff that gets fed by the other one.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thats actually a good point. Does it work when the engine isn't running? If that stupid valve thing is bleeding vacuum through it you might find that it doesn't hold.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Doesn't work ever. Won't have time to look at it until later this week/weekend, but I am wondering if it vacuum related. It's like it's got no vacuum to the dash. Will be checking the vacuum tree, assuming that's where the source is.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Why do you say it's like there's no vacuum to the dash? do your HVAC vents operate properly? Like, are they stuck on defrost all the time, or can you actually switch to panel and floor? If the vents work properly then your dash vacuum supply is fine.

The e-brake and the dash use separate vacuum lines btw, IIRC the dash is a thin (like 1/8") black one and the e-brake is a larger (3/16" or 1/4") white one. Both hook up to the vacuum tree on the engine side of the firewall tho.

Pull the vacuum line off the e-brake pedal actuator, if the pedal starts locking down properly you have an issue with the vacuum switch. To verify this pull the supply line off the vacuum switch and plug it (the line, not the switch), if all other vacuum-operated devices start working properly you can leave things as they are, or you can look for a NOS switch.

If pulling the line off the e-brake actuator doesn't change a thing, then its likely as 85crownHPP said that you have some spring issue there. How you gonna get to it idk right now, don't have one of them things to look at.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Vacuum to the dash now. Previously none functional HVAC started moving around yesterday. And drumroll: parking brake works perfectly! What fixed it? Not me. I've just been starting it up and letting it run. I did spray the parking brake mechanism with wd40 before I posted this. Maybe it penetrated enough to do something.

Let's hope this is a self healing car like my 88 that years ago lost first gear for weeks only to get it back and keep it ever since.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Of course you fixed it, you restored the source of its force
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
              X