Later model factory donut on Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Later model factory donut on Box?

My 88 Grand Marquis doesn't have a spare in the trunk. My junk yard trip didn't yield any factory box rims, and the only donut I found was from a late model grand Marquis. Maybe 2004? Would that fit if need be? I didn't see anything about donuts in the wheel spec sticky.

03+ will not work

Any 79-02 will, I'd go with a full size spare though.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks! I was looking for a spare factory rim I could have a new tire put on, but I just need "something" ASAP since it's my DD and only irresponsible car owners roll with no spare at all

Comment

Zach, how wide is a late model donut anyway? I seem to remember them being around 4" wide, or am I remembering some other car? If it is only 4" wide, it should fit inside the box wheel well, but look goofier than hell. (15x8 with zero offset fit the box, a 4"wide with 50mm offset still falls within the confines of the 15x8).

Alex.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 05-22-2015, 04:50 PM. Reason: spulling

Comment

I believe the issue would be surrounding fitment in the front. The wheel would be locked solid against the caliper due to the backspacing. It would work in the rear though.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

See if you can find a Heep. I believe the Grand Cherokee spare would work. I know their full size ones have a bit too much backspace and it will rub the caliper but the narrower temp spare would likely fit OK.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found a car with three factory rims with good tires, same rims that are on my car. But . . . they have wheel locks on them! Grrrr . . . the wheel lock in my trunk didn't fit. I wonder if I could hit it with a drill and a strong bit until it breaks apart. Guess I know what I'll be doing with my labor day.

Comment

Thats in like 4 months. Hope they still are there

The locks are hardened. They are an absolute fucker to drill off. There are lock removal tools that are basically just a big stud extractor. Those work. You can weld nuts to them, but thats the only other way I've seen to get one off.

Also, check in the trunk and the glovebox for the factory key. It was originally clipped to the lug wrench, but sometimes it ended up in the glovebox.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You might try a tire shop instead of a junk yard. They might have the full size rim you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Thats in like 4 months. Hope they still are there

The locks are hardened. They are an absolute fucker to drill off. There are lock removal tools that are basically just a big stud extractor. Those work. You can weld nuts to them, but thats the only other way I've seen to get one off.

Also, check in the trunk and the glovebox for the factory key. It was originally clipped to the lug wrench, but sometimes it ended up in the glovebox.
                    Oops lol meant memorial day. Sun must have fried my brain today.

Comment

Jeep wheels will fit if you can't find anything else. Ebay is your friend.
                      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Don't get a temp spare if you have a limited slip. Or at least don't put it on the rear.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You can do that if its a full diameter temp spare, but those are limited to 50 mph and like 50 miles anyway. For all the bullshit, you're better off just getting a real wheel and tire. At least that won't make it so you have to limp along to the first tire shop to get back to a normal state.

Comment

Good news. I scored my extra rim. I found an emergency lug nut remover socket at Vato Zone. Basically a bolt extractor that bites onto the lug and then turns it.

The rim came off a 1989 Grand Marquis LS, and it had three of the four with each one having what looks like a factory lug lock. The tire is bigger than what's on my car though. My car has 215/70/15 and this one is 215/75/15. I guess a run to one of the local used tire joints can fix that up though. This one has good tread however which kind of stinks.

However, it the front slope of the spokes does not look as "deep" as the ones on my car. It's a Ford wheel, and has the three little spikes for the center cap. Maybe its just my imagination?

Comment

There's two different turbines, one has "sharp" spokes, where the other is more "rounded" spokes. I thought 90/91's were the ones with the rounded spoke version, but that's a 88 part number so maybe they got them earlier?
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                              X