AOD Transmission Buzzing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Transmission Buzzing?

After driving my 89 Gm a little bit and put it in park it always makes a "buzzing" noise underneath the car.. only happens when i put it in park.. Buzzing automatically stops whenever i put it in drive/reverse & even neutral or just turning the car off completely makes it stops.. is this common for these transmissions? assuming it is the transmission

Yeah it's common. IIRC it's a check ball in the valve body buzzing around, can't remember for sure though. My 85 Lincoln did this.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

It's one of the check balls in the valve body vibrating around. It's normal. Nothing to worry about. My vic does it too, and that's a custom valve body.

Comment

Good to know. My '87 CV makes the buzzing sound as well. I always thought it was something emissions-related (evap system or EGR) but never suspected the trans. Ford transmissions love to make non-failure-related noise - the '77+ C6s (Mercon instead of Type F) like to whir in park/neutral, and apparently it's the sprag gear/clutch. They will make that noise for years and thousands of miles without affecting driveability. Then there's the classic first gear whir that we're all familiar with (C6, AOD, 4R70W and many others I'm sure).
        RyPow
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
        1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
        2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
        1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
        2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
        2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

yeah mine does it too. Apparently its also related to high-ish TV pressure, but considering that low pressure can smoke the clutches its a small thing to put up with.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah mine does it sometimes too and has survived 10,000 miles of my hooning (and presumably a good portion of the other 90,000 miles before that) with the tranny still acting nicely otherwise. If I remember right, my dad's old Explorer even did it sometimes.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
            X