Completed a rear disc brake conversion have a issue though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completed a rear disc brake conversion have a issue though

i completed today the rear disc conversion on my town car, i bled the system i have speed bleeders in all the calipers i got lots of air out, there are no leaks everything is tight. went for a test drive and the brakes work fine the only thing thats bothering me is the brake pedal is low to the floor. i got all the air out. all the streams of brake fluid coming from the bleeder valves were fine no crazy spray except i noticed that my drivers side bleeder valve might be bad as everytime i bleed it is sprays brake fluid it doesnt come out as a stream like the it sprays like this (< )instead of a straight stream like this (-----) that my other bleeders do kept on bleeding that one but it never changed to a stream does that mean the speed bleeder is bad, there is no brake fluid leaking? can someone help me out. again the brakes stop the car fine it just a low pedal.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

is the pedal starting out low or is the pedal dropping after applying the brakes (acting like there's a leak). If it's the latter, the MC probably has a bad seal and it's not able to push the fluid properly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

it goes to the floor and not slowly but it activates the brakes fine and they stop fine too no locking up under light braking or moderate braking its irritating me.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

You still have air in there someplace most likely. Might have to stick a block of wood between the shoes with the caliper off and rotate it somewhat to get the last little bit out.

Also, if you didn't already, bleed the front brakes too, just to make sure they didn't run dry and get an air bubble in the system someplace. I'd go with the regular old 2 person and a wrench method too instead of the speed bleeder just in case there is a problem with that.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          You still have air in there someplace most likely. Might have to stick a block of wood between the shoes with the caliper off and rotate it somewhat to get the last little bit out.

Also, if you didn't already, bleed the front brakes too, just to make sure they didn't run dry and get an air bubble in the system someplace. I'd go with the regular old 2 person and a wrench method too instead of the speed bleeder just in case there is a problem with that.
          bled the front but the problem im having is with the driver side front. what do you mean by shoving a block of wood ? never heard that before.

Comment

It is being suggested that you remove the caliper and put a block of wood between the pads. This enables you to rotate the caliper coaxing the remaining air to bleed out. The wood prevents you from blowing out the cylinder.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh ok. This car always had a wierd pedal but its lower than before the swap. Im gonna rebleed the front today And install a new bleeder on the drivers side and see if it cures. Im thinking the bleeder is bad and the valve might be stuck open

Comment

Possible your master cylinder is not so good if the pedal was always funny.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When i got the car it had no front brakes due to a broken line so i drove it all the way from ny to pa only on rear brakes.

Im going to replace it today. How do i bench bleed a new MC ? Is it required

Comment

it is required. there are a couple of methods.

standard method:

this is the method I used the last time... (I used an actual turkey baster with the rubber snout from my AC flush kit - baster broke as I finished, so maybe not the best idea... but it worked. proper tools and all that.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

A1 Cardone part number for that syringe: 10-5000MCB

Best price I've found: http://www.kirbanperformance.com/pro...E+%237382.html

Comment

Got a A1 MC. I bench bled it and its ready to go in.just hope i can get the old line fittings off the old MC and the nuts holding on the Old MC there pretty corroded lookin i soaked them with PB blaster so after an hour i will see if i can free them. Whats the best way to remove the bolts that hold the mc on? Socket or wrench and what size ? Thanks guys

Comment

New master cylinder is on pedal feels better than beforw now just have to bleed all the brakes .

Comment

Bled the brakes car stops very well now. Pedal seems better than before. Thanks guys. Now when i have extra time i will do the swap on my mark vi.

Comment

ok got a problem gents. took the town car for a ride today brakes were fine fluid was full everything seemed fine pulled into the driveway and the brake warning light came on and on my digi dash flashed brake pressure. what the hells the problem now brakes are working fine, theres no visible leaks, master is full. is there still air in the system that is causing the brake pressure warning to come on ?

Comment

Working...
                              X