Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[wall of text] can our cars actually engine brake at all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[wall of text] can our cars actually engine brake at all?

question about engine braking.

It's hard to find techs who really, really know about transmissions; and that definitely includes myself. I haven't pinned down the answer to this one yet.

For engine braking to work, the wheels have to want to be going faster than the engine, no?
    So that the wheels are trying to drive engine compression (rather than engine combustion powering the wheels).

This works a LOT better if you actually have release valves to vent the compressed air, otherwise the compressed air returns a lot of its energy like a spring-- so there's some engine braking cam with engine braking valves on a truck's diesel. A feature that doesn't exist on a gasoline car engine.

Strike one.

But more importantly...

In my manual transmission'd car, when I'm in 5th gear and I let off the gas, the engine rpms stay in line with my vehicle speed. They are mated together with the clutch.

But in my automatic transmission'd car, let's say I need to get to 3000rpm to get to 70mph (and I've stayed in overdrive, and didn't downshift to 3rd). When I let off the gas, that rpm needle drops like a stone to 1200rpm. Try to accelerate again, and it needs to quickly rise back to 3000rpm before I start going faster.
    It is NOT tied to the wheel speed.
    What I've read/been told, and it make sense, is that the torque converter as designed is also a one-way fluid clutch. I've got a very basic torque converter from 1990 without locking overdrive, if that changes anything.
    This is designed such that the pump must always be going faster than the turbine to drive it. The turbine cannot drive the pump: that is to say, if you let off the gas and the drive wheels are still spinning at whatever rpm is 70 miles per hour, they won't be able to drive the engine in the other direction. It's a one-way fluid coupler.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing this every time I let off the gas on my automatic and rpms plummet right to idle, and every time I let off the gas on my manual and they don't drop any more than vehicle speed.

But that means that in my automatic, if the rear wheels cannot drive the engine in the first place (not to mention that the engine has no engine braking release valves),
    I will get NO engine braking out of my automatic, no matter what gear I choose to force it into? The wheels cannot drive the engine, not in 1st, not in 2nd, not in any gear. Only the engine can drive the wheels.

I feel that this is right.
    Going down pikes peak, my one and only experience with mountain driving to relate to, it seemed like engine braking wasn't doing anything and it was all due to the brakes. Let off the brakes, and I sped up as fast in forced-2nd as I did in overdrive, with nary a rise in engine rpms (seemingly untied to vehicle speed).

Maybe more modern, more sophisticated torque converters can do more. My sister feels that her 2010 nissan versa with CVT does do engine braking for her, although she may be wrong. I can't find whether it has a torque converter or not. But even if it does, maybe they lock the torque converter to use it for engine braking. Or maybe she's just imagining it. So I also wouldn't mind knowing about CVTs, or, more modern automatics that have locking converters and maybe other functions. In theory if you lock the converter, maybe it acts like the direct clutch on a manual, with none of that one-way fluid clutch. On the other hand, if you force the engine rpms to be tied to the wheel speed and run as fast as the car is, it DOES burn more gas, the opposite intention of a locking torque converter-- so it's entirely possible that even modern automatics could be incapable of any engine braking.
    Prius of course uses its electric motor/generator to engine brake, that's one exception.

But it is it correct that my old 1990 ford with its 4 speed AOD and very basic non-locking torque converter, is by design incapable of any engine braking?

Apologies for the wall of text.
    I wanted to lay out all of the information I believe I have, so you can follow my train of logic-- and if I can in fact engine brake, pinpoint where I've got some bad information that took me to the wrong conclusion.
    And if I'm correct and I can't engine brake, well, next time I come down pike's peak in my wagon [never], I won't bother putting it into 2nd because it won't make a difference. More a point of curiosity than anything that will grossly affect my driving.
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 06-18-2013, 06:10 AM.

engine braking is simply the engine wanting to slow down and dragging the rest down with it. All the other stuff dictates how severe that slow down is. It is not a good idea with AODs other than taking them out of OD and into D. any lower than that could cause issues. I would think it would be impossible with a CVT as you can't really control the "gear" it's in.

as a general rule, automatics shouldn't be used to engine brake as the torque converter gets run in reverse and can cause issues. The AOD can engine brake from OD to D because of the direct clutch but it's not advisable to go any further unless it's an emergency and possibly dumping the trans is a better option than hitting whatever you're about to hit. A manual trans however is typically ok with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Get rolling down a hill sometime in D or OD, and then flip the trans into neutral. You'll have your answer, but I can definitely tell you that there is engine braking going on with my car. Not nearly as much in OD thanks to the gear ratios but you can feel a difference in how the car rolls on a down slope from N to OD.

Thats true of the AOD with a stock converter at least. If you have a non-stock converter that is not a lockup type, then it will not really work so well. Most things with electronic lockup purposely drop the converter out when you let off the gas so they really don't engine brake very effectively either. The stock AOD converter is lockup only in the sense that the converter is bypassed in third and fourth gear. There is no solenoid or clutch, the input shaft for the 3/4 gear set drives straight off the converter shell. Many cheaper converters don't do this and just drive 3/4 off the turbine with the 1/2 input shaft. It makes for a little better acceleration in the top gears, but produces more heat and reduces fuel economy as a result of slippage.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X