Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

00'P71 Swaybar adapt/modify to Box Panther. Video. Opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

00'P71 Swaybar adapt/modify to Box Panther. Video. Opinions.

I Have been dying to put a rear swaybar on my 87 Town Car. I have 2 swaybars off of a 00' P71, so I decided to test fit them. Sr video below. I'm thinking a thick guage "L" bracket, drill two holes to line up. hardware through the control arm, short bolt from swaybar end through a hole in the l bracket, maybe with a bushing between the two. As for mounting it to the axle, I'll use a large U Bolt on factory bushings. Lemme know what you guys think.

87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

You can use 3" exhaust clamp to attach the bar to the axle. I used that setup on my Merk for a little bit. Get some Energy suspension greasable bushings that come with brackets. 3" clamp fits right in there.

You can kinda see it here,

As far as attaching bar to the frame, just weld a couple of plates to the frame and drill the holes in them then mount it like 92+.

Comment

Question. In theory does the swaybar have to be mounted to the frame, or control arms? In a crown vic as we know, it mounts to the axle and attaches to the underside of frame. On a mustang it attaches solely to the control arms. What is the difference in theory here?

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
      You can use 3" exhaust clamp to attach the bar to the axle. I used that setup on my Merk for a little bit. Get some Energy suspension greasable bushings that come with brackets. 3" clamp fits right in there.

You can kinda see it here,

As far as attaching bar to the frame, just weld a couple of plates to the frame and drill the holes in them then mount it like 92+.
      87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
      Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

The box CVPI rear bar bolts to the factory drilled CVPI control arms.
        And maybe I'm wrong, but every 92+ CVPI rear bar I've ever seen looked smaller than a box CVPI bar.
        But I've never checked that.

Comment

Originally posted by 87stars_stripes View Post
          Question. In theory does the swaybar have to be mounted to the frame, or control arms? In a crown vic as we know, it mounts to the axle and attaches to the underside of frame. On a mustang it attaches solely to the control arms. What is the difference in theory here?
          Not sure if it has to be attached to the frame but to me it makes sense to attach it to the frame as it prevents the rear axle from swaying side to side. When it's mounted to the control arms it makes the axle more solid and as a result it doesn't sway as much. I wouldn't know which one is a better design and how well it works.

Box police bars are thicker than 92+ bars but I think they have to be thicker to provide similar result as a thinner 92+ bar.

Comment

Box bars may be thicker because the 92+ design is better, you're probably right, I don't know?
            But they sure do look a lot meaner

Comment

I basically have it figured out. They have to be mounted one way or the other, or in the case of a Hotchkis rear swaybar that I found they mount to the axle with bushings like a 98-02 but connect to the control arms with a bushing that pivots to allow articulation of the control arms.

Comment

Working...
              X