Scraping sound from back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraping sound from back

Whenever I have a full load in the back of the Lincoln and I go up an incline (such as the beginning of a driveway) I hear this loud scraping sound from the back. I don't know what it is for sure, but I am thinking that it's the rear tire rubbing against the inside of the wheel well. The car sits normally when on level ground and doesn't sag, and this noise only happens at certain times.

If this is a suspension issue, what should I begin checking? The rear of the car doesn't "bounce" too much and it did pass inspection last week, so I doubt anything is cut or rusted out. I don't think I have the auto-leveling suspension either, although I haven't really checked too closely.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Sounds more like your rear bumper is hitting the ground. Check the underside of the bumper for scrape marks.

MIKE

Comment

yeah probably the bumper dragging. Don't haul so much shit in the trunk, or get stiffer springs so it doesn't sag with weight.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just checked the back bumper and it looks fine to me. Even the bolts that are on the underside were untouched. Both exhaust tips were ever so slightly scraped at the bottom. I didn't even notice them at first.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

My brothers town car drags the tail pipes on steeper drive ways and such. A sign of soft/old rear springs.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

my cars drag the pipes... but only on F!n steep driveways. The vic drags the shadow hitch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine drags the hitch sometimes on really steep drives. Its the lowest point on the car. No problem with the exhaust, but its above the hitch.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah. gotta remember that these cars "got back" and it sticks out quite far.

Sir Mix-A-Lot approved.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X