What kind of suspension do I have???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of suspension do I have???

I have a 1989 Lincoln town car, signature series. I looked underneath and saw I have no airbag suspension, but yet I keep hearing a compressor that runs every now and then. What is that compressor, it looks like to me that I have regular shocks and springs??? One diff I see form my old MGM 1986 is that this lincoln has a thign between the windhsield washer/coolant overflow and the wheel well. NO CLUE WHAT THAT IS. Can somebody help solve this mystery. Scooby doo wasn't much help!
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

You could have an air-suspension car that's been converted to regular suspension in the past. Usually when things start to go wrong with an air suspension you will have mechanics that freak out and quote you $2k to replace the entire system just so they don't have to dick with it. Usually, it's bags, lines/seals/ or compressor. People have had great luck replacing $120 set of bags themselves around 120k when they wear out, just like springs would. The conversion is around $250, and you never have to dick with them again, until those dumb, regular springs need replaced. At around the same price as bags.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

ok, From my research on here airbag suspension wasn't on Lincolns until 1990. I don't know if this is true. What else could be prompting the compressor to kick in like that???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Regular springs, but self leveling air shocks were an option. I've seen them at the JY.

I believe the compressor and relays are in the trunk.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Airbag compressor was different unit from a/c compressor, the between overflow/fender sounds like the proper location for the load-leveling shocks/rear air suspension.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Yeah thats what I am talking about. You think it is aftermarket? Are these lines going to the shocks? I had dual exhaust put in and the guys asked my if I had airbag suspension and I said no...... So now im kinda wondering ??

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              , the between overflow/fender sounds like the proper location for the load-leveling shocks/rear air suspension.
              This! If you have been converted to springs, the compressor should have been disconnected.

When looking underneath, you should be able to tell the air springs from coil springs. The air springs are a smooth black plastic with an air line going to them. If you can't tell from underneath, put two guys in the back seat then start the car with the doors closed. If it pumps up the rear you have the air springs. If the pump runs but nothing happens you have either been converted or the system is leaking out air faster than it can go in.

My 89 MGM had the load leveling. Worked great.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

i GUESS i WILL TAKE PICTURES I don't know, I will try to look

airprings. I have heard of airbags, but not airpsrings

Im kinda worried now cause they lifted the car to put the exahsut on. Aren't they suppose to do something prior to lifting it? they asked if I had airbags and I said no

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

air spring is the air bag that sits between the axle/control arm and frame.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Before 1990, they all had factory installed coil springs. There was an optional load leveling suspension that was a pair of air shocks, a height sensor, and a compressor to fill or drain them as needed. Possible the shocks are still there, but unlikely. You can get aftermarket air shocks plus a little brass adapter to connect the factory compressor to the aftermarket air shocks and restore the system to original function. Air shocks are about 50 bucks a pair, and the adapter was like $10 or something. The compressor would live under the hood, on the driver's side inner fender, somewhere behind the washer fluid bottle.

Air springs = air bags. The proper term is air spring, but they are commonly called air bags. An actual air bag is the bomb in the center of the steering wheel.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just glancing from a squat, the air shocks look like normal shocks - you'd have to shimmy underneath to see the fittings on the upper part of the shock.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Before 1990, they all had factory installed coil springs. There was an optional load leveling suspension that was a pair of air shocks, a height sensor, and a compressor to fill or drain them as needed. Possible the shocks are still there, but unlikely. You can get aftermarket air shocks plus a little brass adapter to connect the factory compressor to the aftermarket air shocks and restore the system to original function. Air shocks are about 50 bucks a pair, and the adapter was like $10 or something. The compressor would live under the hood, on the driver's side inner fender, somewhere behind the washer fluid bottle.

Air springs = air bags. The proper term is air spring, but they are commonly called bags. An actual air bag is the bomb in the center of the steering wheel.
                        My wife's 89 has the original air rear air shocks which uses the compressor. When I put the police car suspension on, it sits high enough so the compressor never turns on.

Comment

Ok, the more I read, the more I uspect I may have the load leveling air shock suspension (although I put airshocks in my brothers crown vic and man do they ride rough!!!)

Is there a protocol that you are supposed to follow when you jack up /lift a car???

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

not on those. They don't go goofy like the air springs do. No off switch either. If you don't have functional air shocks though, I would unplug the compressor so it doesn't burn out.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, good than i can jack it up wihtout feeling guilty of blowing anythgin and further inspect the suspension to see what I have. I notice it would keep on when I get into it after i start it (the compressor)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X