Axle+bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle+bearings

When I was doing rear brakes I found that I could move the axle up and down and to the side slightly. I assume the outer bearing and/or axle is going back. No noise up to this point. How hard a job is this to do? I can try to find some decent axles at the junkyard. Do I just pull the axle, use a slide hammer/bearing puller to get the old bearing out and gently tap the new one in and new seal? In rockauto there are two bearings, axle bearing, and diff bearing, I assume I need the first? Thanks!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

should have about 1/4" side to side movement in an 8.8 rear on a box. The up and down though... no no no.

as for the method... you're pretty much spot on. To pull the axle, you'll have to remove the C-clip in the pumpkin (you didn't list that part, so I figured for anyone searching, I should include that info). Definitely want to have an axle on hand just in case yours is toast. And yes, rear wheel/axle bearing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

here's the thread I made when I did mine

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        here's the thread I made when I did mine

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...d-seal-R-amp-R
        A good clean writeup. Very nice.

Comment

Hi Slymer

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          should have about 1/4" side to side movement in an 8.8 rear on a box.
          Think you will find the official amount of rear axle end float is .030"

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
            Hi Slymer

Think you will find the official amount of rear axle end float is .030"

Regards

Dereck
            then ALL of my cars are way the hell out since they're at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch in and out movement on both sides, as was the 93 F150 I had for a while and the entire axle on the 88 and Mark have been rebuilt (new bearings all around and one new shaft on the Mark).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Hi Slymer

Yep mine too Never seen one with much less than 1/8 inch but Ford do say the maximum allowable end float is 30 thou and I am also not really sure how you should go about adjusting it, I suppose a shim or two under the C clip would do it.

Regards

Dereck
              President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Comment

meh... no signs that it's an issue. not gonna touch it.

Comment

Thats straight in-out movement though, not up/down like Phil is describing.

I think I'd at least pop and axle out to see what sort of shape its in. If there are problems with the axle or bearing, a visual inspection should tell the tale. Only hitch is what rear does it have? I *think* the 82 used an 8.5 rear, which should use the same axles as the 8.8. If its something else, then iunno.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like the bearings might have seen better dayz if there is up and down movement. You will need a good slide hammer to pop the bearings out. You will also need a bearing/seal driver kit and rtv as well to get them back in. The tools aren't too bad (money-wise), it's the time and mess of taking the rear apart that's hard. I bought a cheap slide hammer and killed it in two whacks when rebuilding the rear for the CV. Lesson learned. Perhaps you can salvage a rear from a '90--'91 CV/MGM and rebuild it. Then install everything in one shot. SInce this is your project car, you can get some decent gearing (4.10).

Packman

Comment

As far as I was aware i have the 8.8, how would I go about telling? It appears identical to any other panther rear I've seen. I wasn't aware that any up and down "float" play was tolerable...sketchy by modern standards. I'll pull the axles, if I don't have to rebuild the whole rear I won't. Ideally I'm trying to keep this as original as possible, I enjoy being able to say it's the original drive train.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Pete- thanks for the write up!
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          As far as I was aware i have the 8.8, how would I go about telling?
                          If you still have the axle tag on the diff cover it will tell you. It will normally say 8.8 or whatever UNDER the ratio

Comment

Hi Brown_Muscle

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                            I wasn't aware that any up and down "float" play was tolerable...
                            It isn't, end float is "in and out" play.

Regards

Dereck

Comment

The 8.5 and the 8.8 are effectively identical. The R&P is smaller on the 8.5 (obviously) but the carrier is actually the same. As far as I'm aware, you can stick 8.8 R&P into an 8.5 housing without problems. I don't know if 8.5 and 8.8 were the only two used. Possible that some of the earliest ones had a 7.5. Those I don't really know anything about. Its possible the axles are the same on those too.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X