Pretty stupid oversight (on my part)...and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty stupid oversight (on my part)...and a question

OK, got everything buckled up yesterday on the brakes, and this morning I was setting out to bleed the entire system. Master cylinder then wheel cylinders and finally calipers. So I posted last nite complaining that the brake warning light connector was hard to remove (thinking I would be bench bleeding the master cylinder). But shit, I completely overlooked the fact that Ford made a provision for bleeding the MC! There's a friggin' bleed screw right on the side of the MC!! I took the thing off, had it in my vice and even had the M10 fittings screwed in! But then I saw the bleeder screw! Anyway, put it back on the car, and bled it right there.

Here's the question:

Does everyone here go with bleeding the MC using the supplied bleed port? I ask that because I've never owned a car or truck that has one of these. My 95 Impala SS, 96 Roadmaster, 74 F100, 77 F150, and 98 Chevy Suburban all don't have bleeder screws. My 2008 Suburban may have one, but I haven't had to put on an MC and haven't paid it any mind. I seemed to see bubbles, 1 or 2, even after 8-10 cycles. I told my son to push down very slow and seemed to subside.
    95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
    96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
    77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
    98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
    90 Grand Marquis, stock

I bench bleed it with a turkey baster. Force fluid into the reservior from the ports where the brake lines go. This works when there's still fluid in the lines. If there's no fluid in the lines... bench bleed it and then fill the tank, install it, and bleed the hell out of all the lines.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Slymer. So you don't trust the built in bleeder screw? Or did your MC not have one? I typically bench bleed MC's by installing plastic fittings/nipples on MC oulets, connecting tubing and running the tubing back up to reservoir (and submerging tubing ends under fluid). Then you push the piston in several times till u see no more bubbles. Our MCs have 3 outlets.

But I didn't do the above today. Before I even started I saw the bleeder screw and just decided to go with that method.
      95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
      90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

^ thats the only way I know of for bench bleeding.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
          ^ thats the only way I know of for bench bleeding.
          are you saying using the bleeder screw on the MC is the only way you know?
          90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

I used the turkey baster trick... I don't know the "proper" way of bleeding them.

here's the method I used...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you have the bleeder port you just put a hose from the bleeder back into the MC and bleed until there are no more bubbles. That is assuming it is a new cylinder. If it is an old cylinder just put the hose into a container so as to flush out the old fluid. If you do not bleed the cylinder the bubbles will come out through regular bleeding but you have to pump out all the fluid from the cylinder all the way to each wheel.

Normally I like to flush the fluid anyway, unless I have a very impatient assistant working the brake pedal.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

No, the tubes in the exit ports looped back into the reservoir.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                X