got to replace the gas tank, input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got to replace the gas tank, input?

The gas tank on the wagon needs to go to tank heaven. The sender is no good. It would be best if I replaced the filler neck also. Finally I would like an upgraded fuel pump in case i ever do upgrade the engine any more and it is already an HO.

Suggestions about what to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks,
    Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

replace the filler neck seal at the tank and whatever they call the seal that goes between the body and the fill neck at the other end. its the boot looking device. Walbro pumps are decent. The Summit generic pumps are made by Walbro for about 10 bucks less than an actual Walbro boxed pump if you're shopping there.

Sender you may be SOL. I think someone on here got the last OEM sender assembly in the Ford system and they are not the same as a sedan apparently. I've never seen the two side by side so no clue if its possible to make a sedan one into a wagon part but they definitely don't work for each other in stock form.

Have a good look at the straps and consider replacing them if they are rusty. Now is also the time to replace the steel lines above the tank if they are in crappy shape and do any undercoating, cleaning, painting, or rust repair in that area that might be needed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

tristarrradiator.com they rebuild sending units.rocauto SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # F19 Lock Ring Kit Included
      42-3/4" x 19-3/8" x 10-1/2".118.filler neck
      also check Fuel Vapor Valve on your tank and see if its clogged
      filler neck if you can sand blast it and repair there obsolete.or junk yard.
      powder coat the tank and seal inside.
      search here for upgraded fuel pump its been done on here

hope this helps

Comment

What type of stuff would you use to seal the inside ?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

KBS Coatings - Gas Tank Sealer - Part 3 of the KBS gas tank coating series covers cleaning the tank with AquaKlean and etching the tank with RustBlast.

Comment

KBS Coatings - Gas Tank Sealer - Part 4 of the KBS gas tank coating series covers sealing the tank with Gold Standard Tank Sealer.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion and info on sealing the tank. I never would have thought about sealing a new tank.

Anybody know where to source the tank seal to filler neck and filler neck to body seal/boot ?
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

You can get a pump.float.sender unit all in one instead of trying to locate stuff they don't make anymore for replacing just the sender. Don't know if the upgraded flow units are all in one.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Really? That would be cool. I have been browsing around and have not come across anything like that.

I found this on summit but did not think it included the sender setup. Also do not know the flow rate yet.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...country-squire
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I don't believe the wagons ever got the all in one stuff. And the senders are not the same since the tank shape is different.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the seals carry over to the aero and whale panthers, they should still be available, sometimes new tanks for boxes come with a filler neck seal but don't count on it/

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

On the wagon the sender goes in a different hole.
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I am tying to see how these three parts fit together. I can see the pipe moiunting to the back of the lastic bucket but where does the rubber pocket fit in? The holes on the pocket do not seem to match up to any of the holes on the bucket.

I can not just look at my car as neither the bucket nor pocket are on my car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130430_133818.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1272234Click image for larger version

Name:	20130430_133743.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1272235Click image for larger version

Name:	20130430_133701.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1272236Click image for larger version

Name:	20130430_133633.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1272237
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

threading the pipe into the hole with the rubber neck between it and that pocket and then into the tank grommet in the tank can be a royal PITA. On wagons, it requires dropping the tank just a bit to get the angle. I found this out on the shooting brake when I helped put that tank back up during Scottfest last year.

so it's bucket with rubber grommet inside and then thread the pipe down into the bucket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

just my 2 cents here, but when my dad pulled the tank from our 84 CV wag, we were able to salvage most of our parts and just replaced the physical pump itself without the brackets and all so thats an option if wanna save a few bucks.

we also thoroughly cleaned the inside ond out and used some spray on rubberized undercoating to keep the tank solid.. might be a good course of action
                              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
                              X