No announcement yet.

Frame rust issue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you need to prowl in the junk yards for a perfect frame, good luck and keep your chin up.

Comment

Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
      another option is to find a good frame,then remove the body and put in on the good frame.....expensive,dpending on your facilities and abilities...im in Barberton...welcome to the club...also I belive that 2door and 4 door frames are the same for both the box LTD crown vic and the Grand Marquis.....im not far away,maybe I can come look at it soon (I have a 2door LTD and a Town Car)
      You wouldn't happen to work in Akron would you? There's someone with a nice looking TC that works up here. And I'd be up for you to come take a look. My knowledge on this is very minute.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      yeah they rust there. Mine had a hole on the driver's side where the trans linkage is. Its more common to let go on the passenger side though. I've seen pictures of cars that had basically nothing between the A pillar and the rear axle area. The entire rail under the doors was simply rotted away to nothing. I know folks have fixed this, and I know of at least one frame swap after the rotted frame broke in half after an accident. Swapping the frame is involved, but not impossible if you've got the tooling and know-how. A bunch of us have replaced the body mounts, which involves unbolting the body from the frame and jacking it up. Rolling the frame out is a bit more involved since there is wiring and plumbing and an engine in the way but in a very basic way, everything on these will disconnect if you find all the bolts.
      You see, if I had the space, knowledge, and tools I'd be okay messing with it. But I don't. As much as I hate that fact I think it would have to be done at a shop most likely. I bought the car because it looked very clean. I guess I just didn't know the areas to look. My dad's 85 is still hanging around until we pull everything off of it we want/need. Considering it is very rusted(body wise...i haven't been under it) it's unlikely that the part of the frame that's rusted on mine is good on his, but it'd be worth checking into I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
        Buy a nice, solid southern body and swap everything in/on yours over.
        They are still not that hard to find in the south.
        The body and what I can see of the frame underneath, to me, is solid. That's why I was very surprised to hear that part of it was rusted out.

Comment

Howdy!

I might be able to make it out too, it would be cool.

Of course 'cause we're Ohioans Just let me know.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
            Howdy!

I might be able to make it out too, it would be cool.

Of course 'cause we're Ohioans Just let me know.

Pete
            That would be great also! I would just like to know how bad it actually is before i proceed with anything else. it'd be the first thing to fix for me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mustangdude86;690352]You wouldn't happen to work in Akron would you? There's someone with a nice looking TC that works up here. And I'd be up for you to come take a look. My knowledge on this is very minute. yup..i work in Akron....but ,no....mine would not qualify as "nice"....lol....PM me and maybe in a week or two I can come look at it on a weekend

Comment

Just looked at it....the hole is bigger on the passenger side than it is on the drivers. It does look like it could be patched. Just need to find someone who will do it...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Check in the automotive section of your phone book for shops.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Maybe I'll take some pictures of it after work today to see what ya'll think

Comment

Driver's side picsClick image for larger version

Name:	Driver1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1272005Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver2.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1272006Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver3.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1272007Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver4.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1272008Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver6.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1272010Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver7.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1272009Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver5.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1272017
                      Last edited by Mustangdude86; 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Passenger side pics Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger1.jpg
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1272011Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger2.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1272012Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger4.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1272013Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger6.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1272014Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger3.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1272015Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger5.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1272016
                        Last edited by Mustangdude86; 04-04-2013, 07:33 PM.

Comment

that's "repairable" but dang... that's rough.

not near as rough as some folks on here have dealt with and even repaired. Still... that's some bad cancer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            that's "repairable" but dang... that's rough.

not near as rough as some folks on here have dealt with and even repaired. Still... that's some bad cancer.
                            I found someone who might do it for me....only problem is it's 3 hours away. And that's just to have them look at it lol. Believe it or not, the rest of the frame is in great shape....weird.

Comment

Is there something I can do to clean it up and slow or even stop it from continuing? would POR15 be good to use or would that disrupt any weldability of a patch job?

Comment

cover it in navel jelly (can get at home depot or other home improvement stores and I think Ace hardware as well). Follow the directions on the bottle for application, removal. dry the area... spray with oil... if you don't have any used oil sitting around... change your oil right before you do this. Or just wait until you fix it (if it'll be within the next month or so).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X