No announcement yet.

1986 Lincoln Town car help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oily and pink/red is a good sign. If was dark/orangy black and had a foul burnt rubbery/electricalish smell that is bad.

You could always buy a quart of new stuff and compare it, if nothing else.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thats a good idea, ill bring a quart with me. So burnt smell being like burnt electronic burnt oil right??
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

That's my take on the smell, but others may have a different opinion on it. You will be able to tell with having fresh fluid to compare.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Another thing I have noticed but overlooked (or overheard) is that when he was maneuvering around the driveway and out on the street, I noticed squeeky noises (my take from the suspension). When we were driving, i purposely opened the window to hear what was going on. As we were driving it was making more of the squeeky noises (sounds like its coming from the front end). The suspension seems tight wlike it wasn't making crazy noises as we were driving over bumps and stuff, but it did rasise an eyebrow, any suggestions on what this could be?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

the rear diff oil should smell like ass and be really good and slimy... but then the rear axle should need to be checked other than running down the road and listening for noise typically. The trans fluid shouldn't smell that way and should have that faint oily smell (not smell much of anything) with a good bright red color.

new bushings in the control arms will typically squeak (that's the major squeak on my 88 and why every shop wants to change ball joints even when there's NO play in them). but you can also take the front wheels off and use the tire iron to bry between the spindle and the upper control arm to see if the upper ball joint is good. you'll need to do this with a floor jack under the lower control arm so that the upper is unloaded.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The AOD holds up well with fluid changes, not being overheated, and proper TV cable adjustment. 87+ has this plastic bushing that falls apart and causes the trans to lose pressure and self-destruct. 86 does not have this, so you're OK there. They will not survive towing in overdrive, and they really appreciate a fluid change on some sort of schedule. An external cooler helps too. The pre-86 version was also somewhat weaker so it tended to not live as well. 89+ is the best of the bunch as far as transmission case and internals go.
              really off subject here. my 82 Merc has the AOD and ive never changed fluid nor does it have a cooler. should i look into both of these?
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

nah.... that 255 really can't do much to it. my 88 doesn't have a cooler and it's fluid was only changed during the rebuild at 106K and again for a leaky seal (under warranty) about 6K later. Changing fluid and filter if it's never been changed could make it die as the new fluid would clean buildup off all the internals and possibly clog up the filter or remove any clutch material that is left. If it's never been changed, just run it. If it's been changed every 30K, keep up the maintenance.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

its got 148k on original trans. was owned by an elderly man originally, which assume kept good car of it.. everything is really clean and nice underneath and all. second owner (who i bought it from) was his nephew.

so if im assuming correctly. for the first 100k at least it was regularly maintinanced. idk how well the nephew kept up on it. and he owned it for a few years. i bought it with 134k ive never touched the trans.
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Change the fluid. You're way overdue at 148k.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeaaa. i did the same on my LTD and it clogged the screen which i only recently figured out after getting a new trans. and i cant afford to have the trans out for a few days while trying to solve the damn problem

Comment

This presents a good point, To change or not to change the fluid. I was debating the same thing for the Lincoln.... It is important to get whatever maintenace info you can form the previous owner

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X