No announcement yet.

swap TC air springs need wire diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just guessing here but if The springs are ony dsigned to offer enough suppot with a minimum of ar pressure, perhaps it was like rolling around on a sleep number bed set on 5 out of 40. All mushy and soft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

its not so much that as the front end geometry gets all out of whack. the fox front end will change camber with ride height, and then you get weird things like bump steer because the distance between the rack and the spindle will also change with height. It can be adjusted to work properly lowered, but then it'd be wrong if you put it back to stock height again. designs that include an upper control arm tend to allow more vertical movement of the tire without messing with the rest of the geometry, hence why panthers are better.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh the fox bodies have a fixed upper mount for the spring eh?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>06 Mustang Bullet Rims 235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It turn out the TC does not have air springs, bummer I though that was standard but I guess not. I still may swap the rear with disk brakes but we will have to open it up to see if anything inside is worth anything. I guess the axels are key. The gears are 3.27 open. My existing rear is 3.08.
          I have forgotten, Does an open rear have a ring gear I can swap on to my posi unit?
          Jay
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Air springs have been standard on Towncars since 1990. If it has coils, someone put them there. It happens a lot, the air springs are confusing and "expensive" so they get replaced with coils. They aren't actually that expensive if you know where to shop, and if you replace them before they leak so bad that the compressor never shuts off and ends up burning itself up, its not a big deal. Unfortunately many people don't, and then you're looking at 2 air springs plus a compressor, and thats just too big a bill.

Any 8.8 rear ring/pinion set will fit. Just unbolt it from the open carrier and bolt it to your traction lock.

The upper spring mount on the Fox is sort of strange. Its a modified MacPherson strut. The spring actually sits in there very much like a Panther spring, between the lower control arm and the frame. The upper ball joint doesn't exist, instead it uses the strut as the upper rotational bearing. The strut doesn't have a bearing plate like a coil over strut does, it actually rotates the shaft of the strut inside the body as you turn the wheel. The top end of the strut goes through what amounts to a big version of a standard shock bushing.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, then they took the compressor out as well as the springs. Probably sold/used it in another car. Maybe it would be worth taking the harness, sensors, computer and air lines if they are not cut up.

Thanks for reminding me, I replaced those struts on my buddies mark a few years ago.
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
              X