Shocks with speedway springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks with speedway springs

I ordered speedway springs(#925 front, #200 rear) for my 86 vic and I was wondering if stock KYB gas a just shocks would be the right shocks to go with these springs, or should I be looking at something else. I had saw a thread saying that stock shocks don't do well with the heavier springs, but others have been using them just fine.

Was hoping someone could help me out.

Think its the afco 1020s for the front work best. Still are not quite stiff enough. Stiffer actually rides better as it controls the osilations of the spring. Too soft and it is a bit bouncy. I finally ended up with the double adjustable QA1 shocks front and rear.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

How do you like the QA1 shocks?

Comment

After looking over the site about shocks i found this thread with a list of aftermarkets

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

Anyone have experience with the AFCO 1043 rear shocks? The QA1 shocks are too rich for my blood right now, maybe once the car is fully built up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
          How do you like the QA1 shocks?
          Its a real advantage to be able to adjust compression and reboud seperately. They are also rebuildable usally 40.00 a shock unless a part is dammaged includes a dyno test. So far in like 100K only one has needed to be rebuilt the rest are still kicking probably 50K later.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

i prefer the kyb gas a justs, awesome shocks!

someone here recently posted that motorcraft are monroe shocks now. i confirmed that today at the ford dealer when i picked up some parts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
              Its a real advantage to be able to adjust compression and reboud seperately. They are also rebuildable usally 40.00 a shock unless a part is dammaged includes a dyno test. So far in like 100K only one has needed to be rebuilt the rest are still kicking probably 50K later.
              They look like a pretty serious set of shocks to be sure, for future reference are they the mustang specific ones or the stocker star series?

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              i prefer the kyb gas a justs, awesome shocks!

someone here recently posted that motorcraft are monroe shocks now. i confirmed that today at the ford dealer when i picked up some parts
              Should i be going with the KG 4515 fronts and KG 5521 rears or are there others in the kyb gas-a-just lineup that are better for the springs? (like the kg5458 police?)

Comment

the police spec shocks have larger pistons........use those

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

im running the Carrera circle track shocks on my car. i have the 1350# springs in front and 99 pi rear springs. id like more dampening on mine
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well i ordered the KYB police fronts & rear shocks today, i figure if they aren't stiff enough i can always swap them out and keep the kyb's as spares.It was also easier to get them here where i live. Shipping from speedway to Canada is pretty expensive, the springs costed me a little under 400 total.

Once i get em here & on the car i'll post back and tell you how they ride. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirus View Post
                      Well i ordered the KYB police fronts & rear shocks today, i figure if they aren't stiff enough i can always swap them out and keep the kyb's as spares.It was also easier to get them here where i live. Shipping from speedway to Canada is pretty expensive, the springs costed me a little under 400 total.

Once i get em here & on the car i'll post back and tell you how they ride. Thanks for the help guys.

What part numbers did you order. Looking under 86 vic I only see gas a just excluding police and taxi. Just curious.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Update this thread when you get a few miles on those KYBs, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know how they compare to what you had run before.

Alex.

Comment

I know my car is big an heavy but I feel that the KYB gr2's I currently have just don't do the job. I definitely want to upgrade to gas a justs but want to purchase the police model one (if one even exists). I want the ride to be stiff as hell.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

GR2's are listed as a stock replacement.

Maybe you'd be a good guinnea pig for the Monroe Police Gas Magnum shocks (550051 or 550011 & 550010). If they are as obnoxiously stiff as the truck gas magnum, you might be happy with them.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              What part numbers did you order. Looking under 86 vic I only see gas a just excluding police and taxi. Just curious.
                              It was kg5458, for 02 and under police & taxi model Crown Vics. When i went looking for details on the shock the only difference any website would show me between it and the stock gas-a-justs were a bigger body diameter, i assume this means bigger piston (As Licolnmania said.) and heavier dampening.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                              Update this thread when you get a few miles on those KYBs, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know how they compare to what you had run before.

Alex.
                              Heh, my front shocks are dead and my springs are soft, this car dips into turns like she's a ww2 bomber on a strafing run (It still puts up with my insane driving, I'm pretty proud to say the least). I just managed to finally get enough cash together to get my poor Vic the suspension upgrade it deserves.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                              GR2's are listed as a stock replacement.

Maybe you'd be a good guinnea pig for the Monroe Police Gas Magnum shocks (550051 or 550011 & 550010). If they are as obnoxiously stiff as the truck gas magnum, you might be happy with them.

Alex.
                              I've heard a few people say the monroe shocks don't last long on our cars, just a warning.

Comment

Working...
                              X