Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranmission blew no having heat / fumes in the car with heat turned OFF

Hi everyone,

My father has a near mint condition 1991 Grand Marquis and has owned it since he bought it brand new in 1990. He is very good to all his vehicles and this one has only been summer driven. All that being said he had his transmission control unit go on him last fall which also meant his tranny went.

After having our mechanic install a new transmission and control unit the car is back on the road BUT my father is convinced something still isn't right. He has taken it back to the first mechanic and another mechanic for a second opinion but both have said they can't find anything wrong, which is why I've come here looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of a Marquis and might have some insight as to what is happening with my dad's car.

The main symptom is that with the heat turned off (no AC on or anything) he is finding hot air being blown or leaked into the car along with a bit of fumes from the engine. After about a 20 minutes of driving the car the dashboard gets quite hot to the touch. Any ideas as to what might be wrong with my dad's Grand Marquis? I realise both mechanics couldn't find anything wrong but knowing my dad and how particular he is I trust that he knows what he is talking about when he says it's not running like it should.

Thank you in advance!
    Andrew

Should read Tranmission blew NOW having heat / fumes in the car with heat turned OFF

Sorry, can't seem to edit my post, the title should read "Tranmission blew now having heat / fumes in the car with heat turned OFF " instead of "Tranmission blew no having heat / fumes in the car with heat turned OFF "...

Andrew

Comment

First off, it doesn't have a transmission control unit. It's cable driven.
      adjustment info: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...djustment-info
      If they put a shift kit in the transmission, it should shift firmer and downshift as you decelerate. Stock transmission will not downshift as you decelerate and the shifts are almost non-existent in feel. Both of these stock "features" contribute to the early wear of the clutches in the transmission.

As for the hot dash... what part of the dash? If it's the passenger side... there's probably a leak in the heater core (would also explain the fumes). Check the carpet in the passenger floorboard for moisture and see if it smells like radiator coolant. Otherwise, it's probably doing what my Lincoln does and leaks fresh air into the car while driving (the fix for this is to replace the seals in the air plenum and that means removing the dash to get at the stuff - very labor intensive). When I turn the AC on though, it gets frosty pretty quick.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks slymer!

I'll check into what the put in the car. It apparently is driving fine with no noticable differences so my dad was probably mistaken in thinking it was a control unit but nonetheless I'll double check. I'll also look for moisture and smell. Thank you again and I'll keep you posted on what I find. I've been reading a lot about vacuum leaks as well?!?!?!

Andrew

Comment

It does sound like a leaky seal in the air plenum. The heater core in these gets hot water all the time, and its shut off by moving a blend door to the side with the AC evaporator, which is also the path to fresh outside air. If that seal isn't perfect, and after 21 years its certainly not like brand new, you get some heat leakage. Also, the fresh air intake is in the cowl area on the passenger side. Any oil or other smell coming directly off the engine could get blown right in there if the rubber seal along the back edge of the firewall is missing or damaged.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re the smell: Check the check valves for the air injection. Grab the rubber side pipe of the check valve and give it a shake. If the halves move, your check valve is rusted out, letting exhaust fumes out which go directly to the passenger compartment air intake.

Alex.

Comment

I'm willing to bet that pipe behind the heads rotted out. Seen it happen on a bunch of panthers...

Comment

X3 on that head pipe. its happened to me and my dads wagon. it can really stink up the cabin.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It's especially bad if the engine burns oil...

Comment

Working...
                  X