No announcement yet.

ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well an update I suppose, it's not technically an update because I didn't do anything to my car, but I did some diagnostics to my parents 94. ABS light came on last week. As I expected, when the light is on, the ABS is deactivated, and the brakes act like regular brakes, and will lock up with enough pedal force. Anywho, I put it in self test and it displayed some codes that had to do with the right front wheel speed sensor. From what I understand, the ABS computer monitors the compares the readings between the two front speed sensors and the two rear ones. The computer checks the readings when the car is still, and at certain speeds. When a speed sensor fails, the computer doesn't just throw one code. It throws multiple codes. The few codes I got mostly involved a comparison to the left front speed sensor readings. Such as, The right front sensor doesn't match the left front speed sensor at X miles per hour (I use X because there are multiple codes depending on what speed the code involves). There were also obvious codes, that basically said that the sensor readings were erratic. I ordered a new sensor from rockauto this morning, so I should be getting that maybe Monday, if not sooner.

Comment

worth checking the plug to see if its crusty and making sure the teeth on the tone ring aren't rotted off or clogged with drek too. I don't think the Fords used stamped sheetmetal but the Mark VII does, and sometimes you'll see wierd ABS problems when the tonering is rotted.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It was indeed the sensor. I plugged the new one in, and the light instantly went out. Installing it was kind of a bitch, since I didn't clock the sensor just right, and had to rotate it in it's hole. But the ABS is working great now,

On another ABS swap note, Ivan and I got the rear ABS axle and hydraulic control unit (ABS pump and valves) from a 1994 Crown Victoria this matched the wiring harness that I pulled for Scott earlier in the year. In our endeavors we discovered that ABS master cylinders are a different shape and will not bolt up to a non ABS brake booster. So a new booster is required. I saw Ivan did some of his own wiring which, in his setup, required no extending of the wiring harness. He's also mounting the ABS computer on the drivers side of the radiator support. I am looking forward to see his progress, since that swap will be done far before mine will.

Comment

Whats different about the MC that you have to change it ?
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd guess the newer one would be a quick takeup master cyl....I have no idea if the original one was though.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The master cylinder has a provision for a hose that feeds brake fluid to the reservoir in the hydraulic control unit.. Bolt pattern is different which is why booster can't be used.

Comment

This hose, it ties into the reservoir bottle only, or is it tapped into the pressure side of the MC? If its just the reservoir, no chance you can simply pop and swap the reservoir bottle is ther e?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  This hose, it ties into the reservoir bottle only, or is it tapped into the pressure side of the MC? If its just the reservoir, no chance you can simply pop and swap the reservoir bottle is ther e?
                  It's in the reservoir. HOWEVER, you cannot just swap the reservoirs. The ABS and non ABS master cylinders have different places where the reservoir attaches. So putting it one would be physically impossible.

Comment

those bastards. Gotta make things difficult.

Comment

Working...
                    X