No announcement yet.

ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im starting to agree with scott mang, i have no problem with non-abs vehicles, but it sure would be nice in the '94. i dont know what id do without it in my truck, i really need to replace those tires..
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Ironically, the only one of my cars that really completely unexpectedly locked up the tires was the 89.

I was making a right into a gas station late at night in the rain, and couldn't quite see the entrance, I came in a little fast, and the next thing I know both front tires instantly locked up. I simply kept the car pointed in a straight line and eased off the pedal. I wasn't going very fast, and really wasn't pressing very hard on the pedal so it really through me off guard. I still was able to make the turn, and simply put on my cool face.

The 91 I've locked the brakes up once or twice, but both times weren't as scary. Worst was when a dump truck driver driving this old pos Ford towing a trailer was all over the road. I decided it would be in my best interest to pass this obvious danger, but as soon as my RF tire was in line with his LR trailer tire he decided he was going to come in my lane. Instantly. I put my foot down hard (lucky I had just replaced all the brake lines the week before. Had I not, I guarantee one of the old lines would have popped) The RR on my car locked up, followed by the LR, and it straight straight as an arrow.

I like how I have the drums adjusted on it. In the winter, the front tires will lock up just before the rear. And their surprisingly hard to get to lock up.

My 92 with ABS however sucked. In the winter, every time you went to slow down it would kick in. No matter how ginger you were with it. That coupled with the Traction Assist sucked.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

around 1996 when i had the 84 cvpi i locked up the brakes on some slush and launched the car thru some little old ladys front yard, she was going out for her paper when it happened, i felt bad to see an old lady run

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The only trouble I've had with locking up brakes is a really bad set of wear patches on my old (front) summer tires...I had to brake hard in an intersection to avoid getting T-boned by some bitch that didn't appear to know she was at an intersection. Could have been much worse with different circumstances
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            around 1996 when i had the 84 cvpi i locked up the brakes on some slush and launched the car thru some little old ladys front yard, she was going out for her paper when it happened, i felt bad to see an old lady run
            im sorry...but

LMFAO, nicely done.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I am still in the process of pulling the ABS wiring harness. Which will be delayed even more since I am up at scotts, and I don't want to pull another one out of the car. I have the ABS harness nearly out of the car. The harness runs along the side of the interior for the rear wheel speed sensors. I have it up to the dash, where it disappears up. Not sure if it goes over to the drivers side of the dash to the firewall, or if the wiring harness branches to both sides. I know there's wiring on the drivers side for the BOO and BPP Switches. But the next time I'm at that junkyard, I'll pull it apart more.

Comment

If you don't want your ABS in the snow, just pull the ABS fuse. Problem solved.
                Originally posted by gadget73
                There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  Scottmang; making Old ladies run since 1996 !

btw... that should be your new custom user title.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Holy Thread Resurrection Batmang!
                    Well, I finally got up early this morning and finished pulling the ABS harness. I have 98% of the harness (I kinda cut something I shouldn't have and confused the hell out of myself).

I was feeling kinda frisky, so I pulled the ABS pump/motor assembly, the master cylinder, the brake booster, and the brake pedal assembly. Pics later...

Comment

Pics NOW
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Pics NOW
                        x2

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Alrighty, allow me to upload them...

Comment

no, not allowed.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Here's pics. The rusty white thing is the tool box on my dad's truck. Note the white thing on the side of the assembly, that's the brake pedal level sensor (switch?)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thats a fairly substantial harness.

I don't think my truck (which is an '04) has ABS at all (front or rear). I can easily lock the brakes up in the snow. I've never locked up the brakes on the asphalt in that thing. I think you'd go through the windshield first.

My red car and my blue car were easy to lock the brakes up on, even on the dry asphalt.
                                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                                X