ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    There is indeed a reason pretty much all cars come with abs nowadays....
    Because everyone is turning into a pussy? The same reason most cars are now automatics.

Just my dumbass opinion lol. Even though I am all for new fancy upgrades on old cars. Especially a luxury car like ours. Then some cars should be bare bones.

Idk don't pay attention to me lol I'm just talking to hear myself I think.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      Because people are stupid and don't know how to drive?
      Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      Because everyone is turning into a pussy?

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        Because everyone is turning into a pussy? The same reason most cars are now automatics.

Just my dumbass opinion lol. Even though I am all for new fancy upgrades on old cars. Especially a luxury car like ours. Then some cars should be bare bones.

Idk don't pay attention to me lol I'm just talking to hear myself I think.
        this
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          I assumed it was some federal mandate that insists cars have ABS.
          Pretty sure some sort of stability control is mandated now, which lumps ABS and traction control into it as well. Not a problem if it can be shut off. I have found that on some cars that have an off switch, it isn't really off. Not too long ago, I was trying to get my cousin's E500 up a slippery driveway. Only way to get enough wheelspin to do it was to lightly apply and hold the e-brake while hammering the throttle

I didn't like the skid control on our van. As soon as my butt-gyro felt a need for correction, I would correct, and then the car would correct a millisecond later, nearly throwing you off the road.

As someone said earlier, it is for those that do not know how to drive, which I would say is 98% of the general public around here.

I say abs on a box would be cool, as long as you put in some sort of easily accessible kill switch for it. The big red button installed on prototypes seen in and around the Detroit suburbs as a master kill switch would be ideal.
          Last edited by torquelover; 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
            i would love to have abs in my GM but to much of a pain the ass. I would somehow like some to tell me how to install Autolamp headlights.
            EVTM, autolamp switch, double pole double throw relay
            http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=autolamps That link

Government Mandated for the year 2012, all vehicles sold in the us MUST have stability control.

I have locked my wheels on more than one occasion during wet weather. And I fucking hate it. I want to do ABS, because, one, it can properly modulate the brake pressure, and keep the brakes from locking up,
            two, cause I wanna be able to say that I did it, and three, because I can.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              because I can.
              That's all you had to say lol

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

It would be cheaper to learn how to drive correctly in adverse weather conditions, but to each his own.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

it would be nice to have on a box.....call me a pussy.......yesterday in the rain, driving the 92 with all the moron holiday drivers out i was wishing i had abs.........coming down a mountain someone decided to turn without a signal, and the damm front brakes locked up on the 92 trying to avoid a crash

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I see no harm in it. It is not stupid or wasteful to add safety features whether one needs it or not. There are always moments you are caught off guard and something like this can help you.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      it would be nice to have on a box.....call me a pussy.......yesterday in the rain, driving the 92 with all the moron holiday drivers out i was wishing i had abs.........coming down a mountain someone decided to turn without a signal, and the damm front brakes locked up on the 92 trying to avoid a crash
                      That's how I totalled my slicktop. The stock brakes on these cars lock up way to easily. And then there is no ability to modulate. Tires play a factor too. The wagon works awesome now with the upgraded brakes and tires.

I really don't care for ABS on the two cars I own that have it.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                        On a box panther it'd be an improvement, finding the threshold on these cars and the ability to modulate them effectively is difficult to impossible.
                        Lose the drums.

Comment

any updates on this ?
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            You know lots more about this than I do, but I tend to feel that the stock brake proportioning is sometimes inappropriate, which can lead to unmanagable lockup characteristics.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'd agree with the stock proportioning probably not being ideal. It seems heavily biased towards the front in stock form. I guess they figure thats safer than having the rears lock up, and I will agree with that. Its the same reason that cars are usually factory tuned with a lot of understeer. Its generally a "safer" handling characteristic than oversteer for most people. If cars came from the factory with proper brake proportioning and netural handling characteristics, we'd all have the potential to be better drivers but it demands better driving skill to handle such a beast.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FWIW, Speedway has a tiny stealth-mode adjustable prop valve that could be mounted about anywhere. Of course, I suppose somewhere with safety inspections might take exception to that if they found it ....
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X