ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS in a Box

Call me crazy, but I like ABS, and I'm doing a little bit of research on how to make this work in a box. And from the look of it, it seems pretty straight forward.

Basically this is what is needed: front spindles/hubs from a panther with abs. Now the perfect application, which most people normally go to anyway is the Big brake swap, which that stuff already has the reluctor ring, and place for the wheel speed sensors.

Same applies to the rear brakes, you need the reluctor rings on the axle, originally equipped rear disc brake panthers will most likely have this or have the provisions to work with abs.

You'll need the wheel speed sensors from all 4 wheels, the wiring harness for the abs system, the ABS controller, the hydraulic control unit, a pedal travel switch. I will explain what each thing does below.

Now, there's actually a choice between between solely ABS, and ABS with traction control, which consists of the same stuff, but with proportioning valves in the abs hydraulic control unit for the rear brakes. The traction control basically sets the control unit to apply the rear brake that is slipping to help make traction.

The HCU consists of the valve body for the plumbing of the abs/traction control system; 2 inlets from the master cylinder (for front and rear) 4 outlets (Left front, Right front, Left rear, and Right rear brakes). It also has the ABS pump motor, solenoids and, if equipped with traction control, proportioning valves (the HCU with traction control also has an automatic disable feature to keep the rear brakes from overheating) A switch could be wired in to manually turn off traction assist. This unit will be mounted somewhere below the master cylinder, I'll have to look at the '94 when it's nice out to see where and how it's attached to the car.

The ABS controller is the Control module of the ABS/traction control system. It monitors all of the wheel sensors at all time, even when the ABS isn't activated (normal braking). It also monitors the level of the brake fluid, speed of the ABS pump (in the HCU), the travel of the brake pedal (Pedal Travel Switch) and application of brakes (BOO).
    The ABS module is located on the front of the radiator support.

The Brake Pedal Travel Switch monitors brake pedal travel and sends this information to the ABS module through the wire harness. The switch adjustment is critical to pedal feel during ABS cycling.

This switch is NOT the Brake On Off switch!

The switch is mounted to the dump valve adapter bracket and to the ABS adapter bracket mounted inside the brake pedal support.
    The switch is normally closed. When brake pedal travel exceeds the switch setting during an anti-lock stop, the electronic controller senses that the switch is open and grounds the pump motor relay coil. This energizes the relay and turns the pump motor on. When the pump motor is running, the master cylinder is filled with high pressure brake fluid and the brake pedal will be pushed up until the switch closes. When the switch closes, the pump is turned off and the pedal will drop some with each ABS control cycle until the travel switch opens again and the pump is turned on again. This minimizes pedal feedback during ABS cycling. If the pedal travel switch is not adjusted properly or is not electrically connected, it will result in objectionable pedal feel during ABS stops. Most concerns with the switch or its installation will result in the pump running during the entire ABS stop. The pedal will become very firm, pushing the driver's foot up to an unusually high position.

The attachment of the pedal travel switch might need some elbow grease to set it up properly, maybe not. Won't know until I get more serious about this. The attachment of the HCU, and the abs control module may also need some work to make it fit.

Any 92+ front spindle can work. Those all have ABS optional. 97 and older brakes will work behind a 15" wheel if thats a concern. Unfortunately its basically the same job installing any 92-2002 front brake assembly so for all the bother, the big brakes are probably the better option. Rear discs also would make a huge amount of sense here, but there is an option for the drum brake fans in the house: limo parts. All of the Towncar limos got 11" rear drum brakes with an antilock brake system. It has a stamped sheetmetal tone wheel thing that sits between the axle flange and the drum, and the sensor reads from it. I believe the backing plates are the same other than the hole for the ABS sensor so if you can come up with the tonewheel, one could theoretically add the proper hole for the sensor. Its probably a better idea to just get the backing plate though. Rear hoses from the Townie limo would have to be used as well.

When I was doing research on master cylinders a while back, it came to my attention that some cars have different prop valves for abs vs non-abs (usually more agressive rear braking with ABS) and sometimes the master cylinder itself is different. I know those parts changed a couple times over the years, so probably the best bet is to use parts all from the same vehicle to be sure everything is properly compatible.
    Last edited by gadget73; 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The "traction assist" on panthers is totally useless. Utter garbage. My 92 has that BS. Did more harm than good. If your using ABS form a panther, you'd be separating wiring harnesses forever.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I got this info from Ford's online tech database.

Comment

why?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

less chance of running into a tree on slippery pavement
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Why repaint 20+ year old cars, why install HO motors, why upgrade transmissions, why install electric fans, cold air intakes, big brakes, rear disc, manual transmissions, 3.73 gears why why why?

Because it is all about making something that never existed. Who gives a flying #### why? Upgrades are upgrades. Cool as hell seeing newer technology being adapted to old cars. If it wasn't for that there would be not such thing as car guys.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

very interesting stuff. I doubt I'll ever do this, but it's interesting to know that the system isn't totally integrated into the ECM like some cars.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Why repaint 20+ year old cars, why install HO motors, why upgrade transmissions, why install electric fans, cold air intakes, big brakes, rear disc, manual transmissions, 3.73 gears why why why?

Because it is all about making something that never existed. Who gives a flying #### why? Upgrades are upgrades. Cool as hell seeing newer technology being adapted to old cars. If it wasn't for that there would be not such thing as car guys.
                  exactly.

Just one conversation of "what the hell, this thing has ABS?"
                  "it does now" would make it worth the effort.

Plus the whole tree-avoiding schtick is nice, especially in snowy areas.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                    less chance of running into a tree on slippery pavement
                    Meh go eat a dick :p

Comment

Modifying unlikely cars in unlikely ways definitely screws with people's minds.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

Thanks Dave
                        Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Modifying unlikely cars in unlikely ways definitely screws with people's minds.
                        I get that a lot from my car.
                        Your lights are on.
                        They'll shut off.
                        That thing has automatic headlights?
                        Yep.
                        *head explodes*
                        Watch this
                        *flicks window switch*
                        *window goes down by itself*
                        What the fuck?
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM.

Comment

really not a fan of abs ,but hey even i do stuff that not everyone likes, when modding.
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i would love to have abs in my GM but to much of a pain the ass. I would somehow like some to tell me how to install Autolamp headlights.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Everything will prolly bolt up pretty easily, might have to make some brackets and a few hard lines. Pedals might be swappable from an early ABS car...

Time for a big brake/4 wheel disc swap.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X