rear differential noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear differential noise

Are new gears(4.10's) and posi supposed to be quiet? I'm hearing a low whine(no clunking,grinding) usually at freeway speeds accelarating or holding the pedal steady. Almost positive it's coming from the rear end. It does it in city traffic(20 to 45mph) but not "droning" like it does at high speeds. I know the shop shimmed,replaced all the bearings,set the backlash, and filled with lube and the required friction modifier. I've only had her running for two days on the new gearset,so if it's normal than i can let it go,just don't want the new gears and posi to take a shit prematurely. Thanks mangs.
    [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3358314"]

If it helps the ring and pinion(FMS) were used,but saw little use. I had the shop take a good look at them to make sure before i even brought my car in. They looked practically brand new. No scoring,chips,heavy wear.

Comment

are these the ford racing 4.10 gears that are made in china?
      i've heard this before recently about the 4.10's.....they are now made by motive gear. my friend that builds my transmissions installed a set in a mustang last fall and the gears were noisy.....he had it set up right too, he called me to double check the specs, thinking he did something wrong.....i picked up a set manufactured in 2006 on ebay for a gmners rear build, i hope these arent noisy

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah the ones I have now are the Motive kind. Searching around the internet it seems as though high gears-3.73's up to 456's seem to have a little noise. I figure it must have something to do with all the extra teeth on the ring and pinion. Figure worst case scenario a new set may have to go in. Maybe Richmonds. I'll call up the shop tomorrow and ask. They did test drive it,so I'm sure it wasn't quiet,because the first thing i noticed was the faint "whine".

Comment

i installed some 3.73 motive gears a few yrs ago......noisy things, i ended up installing some nos ford 3.73's i found on ebay

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Spoke to the guy who did the gears. He said some are noisier than others,shouldn't be a bad thing, I'll just have change the fluid once every 6 months,and check for any debris. I asked about the Richmond gears,and he said they are the loudest! Apparently when Ford started giving Motive permission to make gears was when the noise started. "It's how they cut the gears-different machines than Ford was using,different material from original" He also said the original Ford Motorsport gears were nearly silent,but impossible to find now.

Comment

Working...
            X